Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Inspired by so many on the site who show us what the do to make the fishing experience enjoyable I decided to make my own stake out pole. Googled many ideas and came up with somethng I thought I could pull off "easily" with materials readily available at Lowes or a Home Depot.

Lenght was my first concern. How long should it be? Most poles offered on line for sale are 6-8 feet long. I didn't think that was enough when you consider the depth of the water you may stake out in and the accumulated feet of mud on the bottom. I decided on a 10 foot length of 3/4" schedule PVC. I've used it a few times and I must say I am very happy with the 10 foot length. There is more mud on the bottom of small pond than you may think. I also wanted the diameter of the pole to be able to run down through the skupper holes of my PA-14. Turns out the pole floats but I can attach a small float to make it easy to retrieve in the water if I would ever leave it or drop it.

Storage:
I knew there would be times when I may not want to use the pole but wouldn't it be nice to have it if I needed it. So I decided to run of length of 2.5" diameter along side the 3" that is mounted on my kayak trailer. The stake out pole slides into place ready to use if needed on a trip. Not sitting at home wishing I had taken it with me.

The last consideration was how would I configure the top of the pole. I wanted it to be able to hook on to pull something or push something. I wanted it to feel comforable in my hand. I mounted two stainless eye bolts to the ends. One to clip on a float if needed and the other I opened up a bit so my fishing line would slip in to palce to possibly retrieve a lure caught on the bottom. The latter has already saved me a lure last week that was hooked on a branch.

Materials:
1 10 ft. 3/4" PVC
1 10 ft. 2.5" PVC
4 3/4" oak dowels
1 T
2 45s
2 3/4 end caps
1 2.5" end cap
2 Stainless eye bolts
1 JB weld
1 Galvanized 1/4 20 bolt

DIY:
Assembled the top handle section and attached it to the 10 foot length of PVC. Ran the oak dowels up through the PVC and pinned them in place with screws I cut the heads off of so there would be nothing rubbing. I left about 3 inbches of oak dowel sticking out beyond the PVC. Used a utility knife and sharpened it to a point. Drilled the end point out and installed a 3 inch galvanized bolt into the end of the pointed dowel. My thought is that the metal bolt would take more punnishment than the wooden dowel. The last step was mixing up the JB Weld epoxy and applying it to the end of the stake out pole.

The JB Weld is inexpensive and can easily be reapplied as needed. I tried forcing it into a gravel bottom a couple times, it did chip.

So that's my story, I figure I have about $30 in the project. Not bad for a 10 ft. stake out pole. Happy with the result overall for the price point.

Last edited by Stealth on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:52 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

NICE JOB!!!

Regards...