Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

My wife and I each have a 2015 PA12. Just camped with them for one month on the Florida gulf. They worked great and I am very pleased with them. It is good that my first post about them is for such a trivial matter.

The site says it has "8" Twist and Seal Hatch with Gear Bucket", but this is probably just text left over from 2014 as the new skeg would seem to prevent the standard bucket: 71704001.

Photo borrowed from Brendon:

Are there plans for a bucket or bag or should I look for a non-Hobie solution. If not, perhaps I could cut and modify the 71704001 bucket. Not sure a third party 8" bucket/bag would work as the Hobie one seems to have a special hole for the twist and seal mechanism.

thanks for any ideas,

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:44 am 
Site Admin

No plans yet for this one.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the catch, we're updating the specs on our site now.- (that was left-over text from the previous version PA's, it no longer fits with the skeg molding area)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And the Hobie drop in battery holder no longer fits this hatch :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Was a tough compromise for sure. Handling was the most important issue.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
And the Hobie drop in battery holder no longer fits this hatch :cry:

Still works in the front hatch (attached to the sail mount tube)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So why don't they design a gear bucked that would fit with the skeg ? If not why is the hatch not located to another location or eliminated?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A gear bucket that is designed to fit into the hatch would need to be divided into two sections and would not be of much use due to the small residual area.
Having the rear hatch does allow reaching the rudder lines as they are fed through the hull.....a very important access location.

As Jbernier noted, the Hobie battery holder still mounts/attached to the sail mast tube inside the front hatch....BUT, its a PITA to first remove the hatch insert/container in order to recharge the battery.
Since the Hobie 12 volt battery has a very nice "water tight connector" on it, maybe they could lengthen the lead wires from 5" to 36" so the cable would reach the center, rectangular hatch in order to recharge it. This would make recharging a simpler task. Otherwise, the user could cut the wires and splice/shrink sleeve longer red and black leads.
It's always better if you don't need to cut the factory terminated wires..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I had the option of a skeg on my 2014 PA-14 I would most certainly be happy to give up the hatch space. Seems like Hobie made the right decision. Give them some time, they'll come up with something.

I have to agree that it would be great to not have to lift out the front cooler to charge the battery. Not very electrical but how about a charging port in the hull up front next to the sail mast with waterproof connections all around?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Stealth wrote:
If I had the option of a skeg on my 2014 PA-14 I would most certainly be happy to give up the hatch space. Seems like Hobie made the right decision. Give them some time, they'll come up with something.

I have to agree that it would be great to not have to lift out the front cooler to charge the battery. Not very electrical but how about a charging port in the hull up front next to the sail mast with waterproof connections all around?

One could pretty easily install a waterproof connector, like those use to plug in a trolling motor.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I noticed this as well and i figure it is a good trade off although in the waves man it hugs the waves more (wants to nose the waves more) with the skeg down but overall very nice feature and worth giving up the hatch bucket for. I also agree about how it would be nice to have a charging port installed and to note, the factory Lowrance connectors for the power cord (Elite 4 DSI) are rather short and the placement of the thru-hull ports on 2015 does kind of limit where you put the battery (upfront) without adding wire to make it reach the back area. (not a huge issue because adding wire is simple just making a statement really)

Also would like to note having the hatch there was needed (and frankly wished it were 2 or 3 inches forward) as i had to reach the front wall of the tank well when placing the stabilizers and no way your reaching it from the rectangle hatch unless you have some reallllllly long arms.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After owning my new 2015 PA-14 for almost a month now, I just realized there wasn't a storage tray under the rear hatch cover. I went back to my dealer and told him they forgot to include the tray. He brought me out one and gave it to me at no cost. I was surprised when I went to put it in it did not fit. That's when I went to this forum and discovered the issue. O well I guess I'll find a use for it. This forum is a great resource for issues like that. Love my new PA-14.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

PABILL,

Does it look like the bucket could cut to allow the skeg compartment to divide it? Then perhaps seal it with duct tape or more plastic with liquid adhesive. Or would the cut be too deep?

Another idea would be to cut away the bucket bottom leaving about 1" around the rim, then fastening a mesh bag to the rim somehow. The bag could be much larger than the bucket and utilize more of the under deck space. I know non-Hobie 8" mesh hatch bags are available, but I'm guessing they would not have the twist and seal scallop on the rim.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I think for now I'll just place it under the seat and use the strap to secure it. With the seat in the high position it should fit nicely. It has removable dividers so I could use it as a water tight container for a cell phone or camera.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

that's pretty funny. But I would love to trade my little bucket for a skeg. If you put any gear in your cargo area the rear hatch is very inconvenient anyway. I only put things in there that I hope to not need: multi tool, extra flashlight, some small tie straps, extra fuses would be a good idea too. but its not a big deal.

But since people are talking about new ideas; why can't they put a big rectangle hatch back there? I am sure that would allow for a decent size basket, and much improved access. But it really don't matter. I still probably wouldn't use it much.