Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So finally got the PA14 over here in hawaii 2 weeks ago and i am soooo in love with this yak! I put my spin on it immediately and added the following and with huge credit to this forum and many of the users here and on Youtube for the great tips and tricks!

FF install (lowrance ready feature made this very easy to do and mounted to the h-rail using the 1" ram ball h-rail mount)
Scotty rod holders on the universal h-rail mounts
insulated the front hatch and bin (think Dr SH has the video that i basically referenced)
mounted the Spring Creek amas (stabilizers)
Hobie sail kit and made the furling device for it
Made the pet food storage container live well for it
anchor trolley
storage rack/cart (some great threads about this)

Still need to tweak the live well a bit to add a timer delay and then get a new battery to support everything at once. I also need to come up with a PVC style post and rod holder (think stand up post) to get the sail kit rope up higher and off my shoulder.

I have practiced re-entry and flipping it (which was pretty fun grabbing the side rails and leaning as far to the left until my head was almost in the water before she finally went over and then i think had i just let go she would have righted herself before going over lol)

I love this thing! Having the sail on it is so damn fun and really probably wouldn't need the stabilizers if i knew what i was doing with sailing a little bit more than the no knowledge what-so-ever lol having them before i sailed it was a personal requirement and really they stay out of the water the entire time if i let some slack in the line but its more fun to get it going as fast as possible! The stabilizers do give me the comfort of knowing there is far less chance i will get pulled overboard (again) by a 70lbs Ulua (giant trevally) Fishing out of this thing is truly fun! I have spent 7 and a half hours out on the ocean in this thing and the seat is so dang comfortable and the mirage drive makes it so i could actually reach above my head to get a glass without my shoulders burning lol the only con is the weight of it. I use a bed extender setup to get it to the water and putting it back on the thing can be a challenge but i promise you will work the technique out quickly! lol i will get a trailer for it when i am back in MO after a bit longer on this tour and not worry about it. In the end i can deal with the it and well worth it!

Here is the Go Easy (didn't have the amas on it yet)

First real catch and while small it was sooo damn tasty! (amas mounted)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Congrats on it's first good slime! Boat looks great and I really like your kayak stand, I need to do something similar - the storage underneath is an excellent idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

how do you post a classified and photo here?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ctyheat50 wrote:
how do you post a classified and photo here?

this link will explain how to post a photo: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, congratulations and nicely done. Do you leave the mast up and sail furled when you get out to the fishing grounds and get your lines in? I would love to try sailing out and back, but cannot figure out how to play a large salmon without the ability to bring my rod across the deck.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim_MI wrote:
Yes, congratulations and nicely done. Do you leave the mast up and sail furled when you get out to the fishing grounds and get your lines in? I would love to try sailing out and back, but cannot figure out how to play a large salmon without the ability to bring my rod across the deck.

I leave it up because i am usually trolling live bait or rapala style lures and the wind does a great job at moving me along without using any energy :) i do worry about it but honestly it is nothing to stand up and hand the pole around the sail and sit back down. with the amas on it i know it isn't going over and even without them i would feel comfortable doing it. Really when the hook up happens you just point the rudder handle in the opposite direction of the fish to keep you on one side and not right over the nose but yeah i know all too well about getting yank over the side by a fish and flipping the yak! but once again i have only caught one good fish with the sail up last weekend so i will have more to say about it after a few more fish (hopefully tomorrow!)

Well worth it though because it does a great job with the right wind directions blowing in your favor and saves energy and finally it is just plain fun fishing or not!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Amazing time with my PA today. And who says these things don't do well in the big blue? !
I now can say fighting the hell out of a beast of a fish with the sail furled really was a non issue. The rudder makes all the difference in the world. I never had to worry about it getting wrapped around the sail because i controlled where the bow was pointing the whole time and could keep up with the fish with a few strokes of the peddle to keep me turned correctly. Only once he got behind me but i paid attention to the drag and peddled hard and whipped around quick and had him where i wanted him again. I love this yak! Out with 2 AI's and held my own with ease against them.
41 lbs Ono (wahoo)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone is having fun with their mistress. WTG!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keep the pictures coming! Congrats on an amazing catch!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great looking ride!

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You are just killing me with the pix. I have a dream about fishing the islands on my yak, keep the photos coming. Mahalo.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

badMarma
How sturdy are the universal mounting plates that you have the Scotty bases attached? I love Scotty rod holders and will be ordering the mounting plates. Do they stay pretty snug and tight?

Thanks

Accent Paddles
Columbia Sportswear
Astral PFD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Luv2fishnpaddle wrote:
badMarma
How sturdy are the universal mounting plates that you have the Scotty bases attached? I love Scotty rod holders and will be ordering the mounting plates. Do they stay pretty snug and tight?

Thanks

Yeah they are pretty sturdy. The knobs that control the tension are the problem. I had one today just fall off while i was out on the water and the old red caps without the brass inserts are the problem and Hobie is already all over that so when you get yours make sure to look it over and see if it needs the replacement knob. The ones that have the scotty mounts are good to go but my others need to be replaced and i am working through my dealer to get those on order. I must say that for trolling i am more confident with just putting my heavy weight rods in the molded rod holders but i do put lighter gear in the scotty mounts while im trolling or catching bait. Biggest thing i will say is leash down your rods and if those happen to fail you know the rod isn't going to far.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Based on what I see you doing, have you ever herd of a rod holder called a down east? They are more heavy duty than a scotty. Although they are metal, they are fairly light since they are either cast zinc or magnesium. They have been around for a long time. I have used them for trolling for musky in the great lakes ( 4 - 6 oz of lead, 10" body bait, 5 mph trolling speed) , and have also used them in my canoe when I was trolling for trout. The s-17 model might give you more comfort/peace of mind for the big rigs you run. Just a thought.