Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leaky PA need help
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

It seems like i have a leak... Last two times ive been out ended up with about a gallon or two in the hull... Kinda bummed but confident i can work it out. Had my yak maybe 3 yrs. pretty certain its not the drain plugs but how am i to tell? Anyone have a recommendation for the best way to find and patch leaks? Light? Soap? Need help... Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Leaky PA need help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i would use a light with help from someone to check the top and bottom of where the scupper holes go through. the drains would be easy to check i think by putting a bit of water inside the hull and have it sitting on a steep angle and check if the plugs start showing moisture. can also check the hatches by opening the front hatch and have the yak leaning down towards the nose then spray a hose slowly over the furthest hatch to the rear and work forward while watching for any water draining to the nose. those are a couple ways i have checked stuff but sure there are many others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If your PA is 2012 or older make sure to check around the drains troughs around the seat deck.
This thread has some pictures of the area I'm talking about. viewtopic.php?f=78&t=53164
If you do find the crack make sure to get with your dealer to see if you are eligible for a warranty claim. Hobie and my dealer treated me really good with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Leak test FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12575

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thx for tips... I stuck a flood lamp in the hull and couldnt find anything. I guess next I'll be trying the air pressure method looking for soap bubbles....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found the best way for me was to fill hull to the water line with water . I Transport my kayak on a trailer (I to have a 2011 PA14) and I just loaded it on the trailer and filled it up and wallla a leak was found. I did it on a clean dry driveway to see it and it started leaking pretty fast. I was also only getting a gallon or two of water after a 5 hour trip.once it started to leak you can locate area.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:57 am 
Site Admin

We typically advise against filling with water due to the weight.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller wrote:
We typically advise against filling with water due to the weight.

Water is 8.34 pounds per gallon. Just speculating here, it would take at a minimum of 20 gallons to fill the hull enough to start getting up on the sidewalls of the scuppers. That's almost 170 pounds bearing down on whatever you kayak is sitting on in addition to the 100+ pounds of the PA. A few more gallons and you could have some real problems depending on how your stand is supporting the hull.
I actually saw another brand of kayak break down a pvc stand and the three foot fall with a hull full of water made a new irreparable crack in the keel.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have it on a trailer with the hobie cradles its seemed pretty stable and the hull was not full only to the water line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

So when my PA is on the garage cart it seems i have a SLOW drip somewhere around the drive, i mean slow maybe one drip every 5 mins. On the water it seems im acquiring about a gallon inside the hull per 3 hr trip. Tried the shop vac bubble method and couldnt locate anything at all. Is it possible the crack is closed but opens up with my weight in the seat and opposing water pressure on the hull out on the lake?? Running out of ideas any help appreciated.... Thx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jude wrote:
So when my PA is on the garage cart it seems i have a SLOW drip somewhere around the drive, i mean slow maybe one drip every 5 mins. On the water it seems im acquiring about a gallon inside the hull per 3 hr trip. Tried the shop vac bubble method and couldnt locate anything at all. Is it possible the crack is closed but opens up with my weight in the seat and opposing water pressure on the hull out on the lake?? Running out of ideas any help appreciated.... Thx

How far would you have to drive to a dealer shop? Those guy/gals are trained to figure things out, take pictures and send to the warrenty claims for you. but you ahve to go to a dealer to get a warrenty claim started. Good luck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My leak was in the drive well. Hobie replaced my angler as it was under warranty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Ok so i found & confirmed my leak.... What should i do next? Try and repair on my own or take to dealer? Its in the stern side of the drive well seems very very small as if its permeating through the hull but puts considerable water in the hull (3-5 gallons) after a morning fishing session...

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Took hull to dealer today and submitted a warranty claim waiting to hear back.