Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dragonfly 5 or 7
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is anyone using the Dragonfly 5 or 7 on their Pro Angler. If yes does the transducer fit and how do you like it? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Dragonfly 5 or 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow 178 looks and nobody uses it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put one in last summer. It is a good bang for the buck. Of the 3 fish finders I have used, it is my favorite -- Best picture of the bottom and fish. The software is good for delivering the information a kayaker will want to know Unlike the ED7 which I also use. The Dragon Fly 7 is not a perfect fit in the transducer hole and you will have to do some modes to get it to fit -- specifically cut up the cover plate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks
Is there a big difference between the 5 and the 7?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have the 5, and think it's about the perfect size.. (But I've still never seen the 7 in person.)

As for function. I really like it. really easy to use!

The only MINOR complaint I have, is that it doesn't have a way(that I've found) to add a clock to the overlays on the Sonar or DS views.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The 7 is just a bigger version of the 5. For going offshore it is nice to have a little larger chart. Usually in split screen display, half chart, half depth.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you have to do much modification on the 5?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The transducer is the same size for both units, so the mod is the same. I have had one since last summer and use it offshore, and it takes some spray from time to time. I Love the unit when it is working, it is big, light weight, best bottom picture I have used yet, excellent software for kayak use and has a nice bright screen. However, it does have some problems. Last September I was without it for a month( that is with rapid repair written all over the box and several follow up phone calls) because one of the pins on the plug broke off...cheap thin plug pins...was replaced for free (under warranty), but with a note saying that they considered it abusive and next time it would not be done for free. The plug in pins are fragile and you need to be very carefull every time you plug it in. Also because of the moist offshore environment, the navionics chip does not allways load when booting the system up. This can be very frustrating. Once you have waypoint marked for all your spots into internal memory, it is not as big of an issue, but it still sucks when you want to use navionics sonar charts and it won't boot up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Do you recommend it over the Lowerance?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mike3dr wrote:
Do you recommend it over the Lowerance?

I like the Lowrance. It has adjustment unlike the DF. Not taking anything away from the DF. But I want the ability to adjust my speed and signal strength. And with the newer version soon to be released. They are going for less then before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

New sounders are coming out all the time, so It would depend on which one. My kayak originally came with a 5" HDS Gen 2 lowrance. I upgraded to the 7" dragonfly. The 7" Dragonfly is lighter, brighter picture, better software for kayak use and the CHIRP bottom readings show superior detail. The Dragonfly is Cheaply made, mine came with a 2 year warranty and because I use and abuse my equipment in an offshore marine environment, I don't think it will last longer than that. I am ok with that because technology is changing so fast, that in 2 years I will be ready to upgrade. If the lowrance that you are talking about has CHIRP technology, then yes, it is probably as good if not better than the Dragonfly. The HDS 5 Gen 2 that I have is made of heavier, more durable quality. If the unit that you are considering does not have CHIRP, then no, I would not consider it. My Raymarine ED7 is a more expensive unit than the dragonfly. It has a faster processor that produces more detailed navionics maps using the same chip I put in my Dragonfly, but it does not have internal CHIRP technology. Even with the more powerful more expensive transducer, it does not produce as good of a bottom picture as the dragonfly. The ED7 also has terrible software...there is got to be a way to reprogram it, but the original display is close to useless for a kayak fisherman. If you don't want to get a dragonfly, than look for another brand that has a chirp technology. If you can afford Chirp, it is worth getting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes I do want CHIRP, just trying to decide between Dragonfly or Lowance. Those are the two that I have narrowed it down to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Anyone else like to chime in?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Not to confuse you even more like I have myself... There is the new gen3 HDS coming out soon in the 5 inch version. HDS is a great unit for mapping but never had chirp until now... Seems to have best of both worlds in sonar, mapping...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Update:

My dragonfly 7 does not like rough weather.....It really is not the IXP6 and IXP7 that they claim it is. Since taking it out on rough weather days this winter,this thing has become very unreliable....some times the navionics card boots up...other days it does not. Last weekend I was in a sailfish tournament and the whole second day of the tournament the transducer would stop working about every 5 minutes...beeping and going blank, then after pushing a few buttons, it would come back. The thing comes with a year warranty, so I will be sending it back for hopefully free repair, ...but it took them 6 weeks to get it back last time, and that was with many phone calls and express written all over the box. It is a great unit when it works, but I don't reccomend it anymore. I would look at another brand. I was talking to some of the other competitors at the tournament and people seemed to be pretty satisfied with the lowrance meters. I thing the advantage program they offer sounds pretty good also. I will be considering another brand in the future.