Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks to advice I got from this forum, I was able to complete my truck rack before I when out of state to pick up the 2015 PA 12s.

I am currently using two nylon slings to lift the kayaks with the hoist. This method is not ideal, however, as the slings are hard to get in place and position correctly for the exact balance required. I want to stop using the slings and shift to simply hooking to 4 places on the rails as shown below. The longer 2015 rail makes this possible. I would design some kind of hook eye that could be pre positioned permanently on the rails to provide the proper balance points. The rigid spreader bars are to insure forces are applied only upward within the plane formed by the rail structure and not inward which perhaps would not be good.

I wanted to ask if the rail could take this kind of load. The stripped boat would be around 100 lbs, so 25 lbs per lifting point. It would be similar to four humans lifting the boat by the rails, but I am not sure if that was the purpose of the rails. The load would persist for less than five minutes. For example, are the rails attached with a bottom washer and nut, or just with threads?

thanks for any ideas,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wouldn't recommend it. There are posts about people using the front and rear handles as hoist points and it usually ends with the brass inserts ripping out. I would assume those are the same brass fittings that hold the side handles on.

I used a sling/cradle lift for my PA and it worked well. Just don't forget to connect the two slings with rope of webbing to eliminate them moving apart when you lift the PA. Without this the slings can slide and cause one end of the kayak to drop.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is the weakest part of the yak.. Need to make a sling that will pass under the yak in two places at least four feet apart. I think the first time you picked the yak up the handles would break one the first try. Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks all,

I use the two sling method now. I just wanted something simpler. Bought these after selling my Whaler and I got used to the idea of boats having lifting hook eyes. I see now that the Polyethylene boat world is a little different.

The one set of slings I use now are kind of clunky and hard to put on once the boat is on the roof:

I ironed some non slip material on then to avoid slipping:

These are way overkill as far as capacity goes, but they were the smallest sold. I think a better approach would be to make 2 sets of some kind of sling/harness out of 2" Polyester webbing that could be put on the boats before it went on the roof and remain there during travel. This would essentially be a cam strap that went all the way around the boat with 2 D rings sew in at just the right spots.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

One line through the drive well and two through cart scuppers? I made a hoist in my garage that has the concept for my boat upside down, but could be similar. Line would have loops on the ends. You drop the lines through and then pass a dowel through the loops to place the lift load on the hull below the well and scuppers. I changed to aluminum tubes since the initial test version. Quick to set up and release and works really well. I lift of my truck in just a couple minutes.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51550&p=236095&hilit=maui#p236095

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a great system Matt!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Don't lift the kayak by the rails! You would do better to build a strap system and if you need, you can run the straps through some PVC if you want to ensure balance points. You will end up pulling the handles off if you use them to hoist the kayak with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Why wouldn't the rails support the weight of the yak with load transferred to four points? If they are strong enough to support a grown man pulling himself back in after a spill i do not see why they wouldn't support the 100+ weight of the yak with a four point harness...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The short amount of time that a person is pulling themselves into the kayak is a great deal different than static weight being lifted all the time. The constant weight can stress the plastic or the fittings it is mounted to.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was under the impression he was hoisting it up and setting it down on what looks to be a rack on top of his truck?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I think Matt has the best idea of all. I have a -12 and a -14 and I don't think either of their rails are strong enough to life them even if I used 4 lifting points. It's just not worth the risk to for me.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yak9107 wrote:
Why wouldn't the rails support the weight of the yak with load transferred to four points? If they are strong enough to support a grown man pulling himself back in after a spill i do not see why they wouldn't support the 100+ weight of the yak with a four point harness...

When re-entry takes place you would be pulling on the rail at a 90 degree angle to the bolts... When lifting you would be pulling up on the bolts when is the weakest part of the threads in the roto molded side. Just a little different stress on the handles.