Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In December i became the enthusiastic owner of a 2015 PA 12. I am not a newbie as I have been enjoying Hobie Mirage kayaks for 28 years in all kinds of conditions on the Chesapeake Bay and now in SW FL. I fish the waters around Sanibel Island from the lighthouse to Tarpon Bay and all around the causeway. About a month ago on a very calm morning I was suddenly hit broadside by the large wake of a passing powerboat. Although I saw the approaching waves I could not get turned quickly enough to take them head on. My seat was in the lowest position. Before I knew what happened the PA was flipped over and I was in the water beside it. There is nothing that will shatter one's complacency about the stability of your kayak more than being flipped by a wave. I have been out in much worse conditions in my Revolution 13 and never experienced anything like that. My question to Hobie and other PA users is whether the higher profile of the PA makes them more prone to being rolled over in rough water than other models such as the Outback or Revolution. Have many other owners had the unpleasant experience of being flipped. I had planned to sell my REVO 13, but now I am not so sure. I look forward to hearing from Hobie and other owners about this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We're back to the subject of primary versus secondary stability. The wider and flatter the hull is the more stable it's going to be on calm water but the less stable it's going to be on rougher water. A wide, flat hull will attempt to conform to the water's surface while a more narrow, rounded hull, although less stable on calm water, will tend to just rise and fall in swells and waves.

Think about it - it you toss a 4x8 sheet of plywood out on the water, you'd probably not have much trouble standing on it. But when a few waves come through, what is that sheet of plywood going to do? Stay flat or lift and slant to match the wave surface?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I fish in and around the water off the Island of St. Croix in the USVI.

I have a PA 12 that I just install an H-bar on.

I'm over 6 ft tall with a muscular upper body, I weigh 235.

This thing is very unstable with me in the standing position so I'm now considering modifying and Side Kick system to fit my Kayak.

When you fish alone stability is paramount.

I'm interested in the ideas of anyone who has done this?

Hardshell

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

A truism is that the boat that is least stable initially will be less likely to fully flip or turtle. It will also be much easier to get upright again should it flip. The only place that I would expect to get flipped is in the surf zone and should this happen I for one would prefer to have a Revo 11 over a PA12 for multiple reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As far as adding a sidekick system to the PA, remember that while they will make the boat more stable in calmer water, they will make it less stable in rougher, rolling water as the boat will attempt to mimic the action of those swells.

Standing up in any boat is going to raise the center of gravity. I think once you do it enough, and get used to flexing your knees a bit and letting the boat move easily under you, you'll be more comfortable. And please remember, that H-bar becomes a lever if you grab it while leaning to either wide. It will make it quite easy to flip the PA. Lean on it, but don't grab it in an attempt to keep from going over - that just makes things worse.