Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Guys,

Hoping to finally get my new PA 12 on the water this weekend, we are getting a break in the weather. Been trying to decide where I want my anchor cleat, putting the trolly on the left hand side and want the cleat in easy reach of a sitting position but out of the way when rods are stored. Any pictures or thoughts are much appreciated!

Billy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is an excellent question, one that I have been debating a lot myself with my new PA. I mounted my anchor trolley on the right side. Obviously I want the cleat on the same side. I want the cleat to be as low as possible so that if I am anchored the point at which the anchor line is pulling on the kayak is lower. It just makes sense to attach the anchor to somewhere as close to the center of gravity as possible. I am debating two options.

1. Use the well nuts to attach a cleat to the outside of the boat somewhere right near my right hand just above the anchor trolley line. However, this requires me to drill holes which I am not crazy about especially being that I am not 100% sure what is directly behind that area, I need to investigate. I am not opposed to drilling and mounting but still, I worry.

2. My other option which I might pursue since I have a 2015 is use the flat H-rail mount and mount the cleat to that and face it out. This puts it up a little higher but it is not permanent and I can move the cleat anywhere on the boat just about. I like this idea because I don't have to drill and also I like versatility. The ability to move just a little could be really sweet. Rigging is one of those things you have to spend time in the boat to figure out what you need and where exactly you need it.

Just my thoughts, I over analyze the heck out of everything, I know it's just a cleat. However, what makes our pro anglers so awesome is that Hobie spent time over analyzing small details to come up with something that made sense!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just take the line on the anchor and make a loop which I pass though the circles on the anchor trolley and tie a quick over hand in it that I can release quickly if needed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I put a 4" horn-style cleat on the flat universal mount that clamps on the h-rail.

I used a horn cleat because the line coming to can come from any angle and still work. Plus it won't release unexpectedly if bumped.

I can also move the assembly front to back, side to side, etc. Currently I have it on the h-rail on my h-crate.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Btturbo wrote:
Hi Guys,

Hoping to finally get my new PA 12 on the water this weekend, we are getting a break in the weather. Been trying to decide where I want my anchor cleat, putting the trolly on the left hand side and want the cleat in easy reach of a sitting position but out of the way when rods are stored. Any pictures or thoughts are much appreciated!

Billy

I put mine as far back on the mounting board as possible right under the H-Rail. That or use a mounting plate as someone else suggested...