Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Defy's PA 17T Builds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So I just want one post to keep tabs on all the stuff I am doing going to do with my PA 17T. So here it is! I bought it from Select Sail in Omaha, NE. Great peoples and if you are looking at getting one I HIGHLY recommend them. This is my second Hobie just sold my 14 Outfitter and I am going to give it some more time but I see a Revo in my future.... use this PA as the party barge and fishing machine and excursions with a Revo maybe even just a sport we'll see.

I took it out for it's maiden voyage today and got my butt whooped by the wind. 13 gusting to 28 is what my phone said. Took me about 15 mins to get from one side to the other side of one of our little pond/lakes here in Omaha and then took me about an hour to get back. Still fun but would have been nice to have had 2 sets of legs in the yak.

http://youtu.be/b8bzwhAef6Y <-- boring video but you can see the chop

Initial thoughts: I like it.

Solo on a windy day not so much fun but doable.
Turns about the same as my outfitter did.
Skeg.... not sold on that every time I put it down it would push the yak broadside into the waves, i guess you don't put it down in chop.
Tons of room (as expected).
Trailer will take some getting used to it's so small and hard to see when backing up. I am going to have to put some flags on it.
Some water in the hull after not sure where it came in from but there was water in the front hatch liner and I never opened the lid so I don't think it's making a good seal.
Seats have a ton of settings and I still haven't figured them all out. But I was on setting 3 on the pedals where I was on 5 on the outfitter, just have to play with it as I don't feel like I was getting full strokes .

Build Plan:
- Build a rack for the Trailer
- Lowrance Elite 4 and battery kit (almost installed)
- Micro Power pole - Still deciding on the power if I'll tap the same battery or get another
- Railblaza tracport 900!
- Lots of Ram mount stuff (go pro/ rod holders)
- Maybe a trolling motor
- Lights of some sort
- Seadeck when they come out with the 17T deck
- Custom pad thing to put in center drive to level the deck so the kiddos can play

More to come

Post subject: Re: Defy's PA 17T Builds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Go Pro mount simple threaded rod into a ram ball with a piece of tube around it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lowrance wiring install. So I got the one with the GPS and it has 3 wires so they won't fit one plug so I took out the rubber piece. Once I figure out the right length I will tape it off, pull it snug into the hole and add goop! One thing I noticed when I took off the screws for the rubber net piece is they didn't use any sealant. I'll add some.

Now for the wiring what do I do with the yellow wire on the power lead. Just cap it off right? I think it's the remote on wire like a car stereo but the install manual doesn't say. As for the other set of wires what are those for? I gots some googling to do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last one for tonight. I guess its the price you pay to get an early yak.... Just checking out my rudder lines and noticed the cover was dremmeled.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

wow... that thing IS roomy!

quick question for your threaded rod thing...

why not get alum tubes and tap 1/4-10 on both ends with bit of loctite for ram ball and gopro mount? much lighter than a stainless threaded?

well, of course, you DO have a battleship... er... aircraft carrier so weight is not an issue... hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kinghong1970 wrote:
wow... that thing IS roomy!

quick question for your threaded rod thing...

why not get alum tubes and tap 1/4-10 on both ends with bit of loctite for ram ball and gopro mount? much lighter than a stainless threaded?

well, of course, you DO have a battleship... er... aircraft carrier so weight is not an issue... hahaha

Threaded rod was easier..... and yes what ever name we come up with for this yak it's going to start with USS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:20 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

On my Elite 5 the yellow wire on the power lead does nothing, it's used on some other model line. (Found a note about it on a wiring detail that's on a single folded sheet.)

The other cable is for the NMEA-0183 output. 99% of people probably won't ever use it. The intended purpose is to connect to other navigation gear that can listen to it and do something - say, autonavigation in a larger boat. What I like about it is that it supplies some sonar info as well as the GPS info, I'm going to connect it to a Raspberry Pi or similar then write a program to collect the location/depth/speed data as I go. Nothing essential, just another project for me to play with - make my own charts or something.

On the skeg, were you moving when you lowered it? I can see it turning you broadside if you were sitting still, it'll act as a pivot point in the water for the wind to turn the boat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

RandomJoe wrote:
The other cable is for the NMEA-0183 output.

On the skeg, were you moving when you lowered it? I can see it turning you broadside if you were sitting still, it'll act as a pivot point in the water for the wind to turn the boat.

For the NMEA wires I am going to get a waterproof connector and tape it up in the hull for now. Might have to try to do something with a pi as well. I have a 5v USB battery pack that lets me run the pi for like 5 hours and it would all fit nicely into a small pelican case. I will have to read up on the standard and see what kind of info I can get. Could be neat as I am sure there are tons of people that have these extra wires and don't know what to do with them...

As for the skeg I was moving but not super fast because I was heading into the wind.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More impressions:

I figured out the seat and why I was having issues with it. The cord was wrapped up in the spring, now its not.

My PA 17 came with 2 rod holders, 2 mounting plates, 2 cup holders (don't have them yet on backorder) and the white tray thing for the front hatch. After yesterday I dug into it a little more and the tray doesn't fit very well. If you push it down to try to get it to seal better it hits the fishing rod holders and bends the tray. I'll get some pics of it later but I think I will only use it as an ice chest and for now a 65L sea back fits well up there.

I don't like how the feet mounts don't drain. Hobie should make some rubber stoppers to plug in to the ones you aren't using.

I miss the paddle mounts on my outfitter. They fit nice. Don't really know what to do with this paddle yet. Might just stick it in the hatch as well..

Last the front 6! rod holders are useless in social seating mode... and once you put your tackle box and fish finder on one side of the rear seating position only 2 of the holders are useful.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Defy....Regarding your observation " But I was on setting 3 on the pedals where I was on 5 on the outfitter, just have to play with it as I don't feel like I was getting full strokes"

I found that going from my 2010 Outback to my 2013 PA-14, my pedal setting decreased from 5 to 3 and I did not need a "full stroke" to comfortably pedal the PA.
I believe the Vantage seat has something to do with the pedal setting as you now sit up a bit higher....even in the lower seat position.

Good observation about the adjustment seat back, spectra line "can get looped into the spring" . This can happen when the seat is folded as this loosens up the line. I found that making sure the line is in the plastic area where it belongs, after unfolding the seat takes care of this potential problem.

It's nice to get the kinks out early on, so fishing is more enjoyable and no new surprises on the water.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another couple of hours on the water today. We went to a the close lake which is a lot smaller but still fun. Here is a video (excuse my GoPro skills, or lack there of) http://youtu.be/KrVQBcF3v5I

Dorked around with the family and caught my first fish of the season a little crappie not even picture worthy.

More impressions:

- The seats are still hard to adjust. I have figured it out and can get it set but my wife was getting ticked off. I will have to get it adjusted on the trailer before I put it in next time. Also took some other folks out with me and they were constantly fighting with the seat.

- This thing is huge! I had 3 adults and 2 kids on it. On person sitting on the hatch (she is like 100 lbs dripping wet holding a sandbag), my wife in the front seat me in the back and my kids playing shuffle board in the middle.

- Figured out my rod set up. 2- 6'6" rods on rear port side my little micro rod and my daughters pink zebco on the starboard side.

- Looks like I can't put a deep cell battery in the battery tray as my daughter has claimed that spot (see the video)

- Small trailers suck. I can't back that thing up to save my life even with a camera. Got to get some flags.

- Anyone know if an Evolve motor will fit under a PA seat? I was thinking about putting it in the fore most drive, plug in the middle and pedals aft. That would leave enough room for a yoga mat where my kids could take a nap while i fished =)

- Anyone have a model of pelican case that fits in the deck hatches? I want something that will hold the Lawrence elite 4 and 2 GoPros in waterproof cases.

Still getting things adjusted out but I am getting used to it, not as fast as my outfitter solo was but plenty fast enough.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hint on adjusting the seat....take your weight off it just slightly while adjusting.....the adjuster is easy to slide if releasing the spectra line and the the seat will come up or seat back inward with pressure off the seat..

I mounted two 36" fiberglass poles on my trailer for visibility too.

I don't know if you moved the axle forward yet, but it does making backing easier......AND if you are unaccustomed to backing up, place your hand on the bottom or 6 o'clock spot on your steering wheel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dr.SteelheadCatcher wrote:
I don't know if you moved the axle forward yet, but it does making backing easier......AND if you are unaccustomed to backing up, place your hand on the bottom or 6 o'clock spot on your steering wheel.

Haven't moved it yet I am waiting till my welder can do my rack. I am used to backing up trailers but I have to be looking out the rear window, you know hand on passengers head rest kinda of thing. With this trailer I can't see it so I use the backup camera and I am all sorts of messed up. Once I get the rack on it I should be able to see it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What did the welder price you at?

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI_Tom wrote:
What did the welder price you at?

Hasen't I gave him a new drawing and still waiting to hear back from him. But he is very busy so I might have to go elsewhere. Know anyone?

I talked to Mike (Select Sail Mike) and I might work with him on a design. I'll see if I can draw it up and post it today. Real simple 2 C brackets and a bar across the top so 3 pieces for each rack. Mike says the frame he uses is the same for each trailer just varies the length based on the tongue. I'll have to get exact measurements for your trailer once they build it up as your TI is probably wider than the frame so your C brackets will be longer, I just don't know how much longer. I want to see if I can make one set be universal for all types of yaks on that trailer.