Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm not 20 anymore. Not so old that I can't still do what I want, but my days of just picking up a 'yak and tossing it in the back of my truck are long gone.

What I've been doing is, with a bed extender arm purchased from Bass Pro a long while back, sliding my Hobie PA up into the bed, and sliding it off to launch. I attached a foam pad to the bed extender to cushion the yak.

I've found that loading has become quite a chore. It's VERY heavy to lift one end to set up on the extender, then it's tough to pick up the other end and push it into the bed. Unloading isn't a problem, as gravity helps.

Any tips, advice, or setup pics are greatly appreciated. Understand I could get a trailer and avoid all this altogether, but garage space is limited (hence the extender).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear ya about not being 20 any longer. When I first got my PA-14 I used a bed extender. On a flat level surface it was't too bad to load but the angled boat launches presented a much more difficult attempt. I could see it wasn't going to work for me as I have had 2 back surgeries.

I opted for a trailer and I'm very happy with that decision but I have the space in my backyard. There are places that the trailer can't be used becasue of parking. This spring I may mount a 12 volt electric winch into the bed of my truck with a remote cord. It should do the trick for those times I can't park a trailer. I also found it difficult to roll the yak over to place the wheels under. Tough getting old.

Morale of the story...... get a trailer, the trailer makes it so easy to load, unload and use. Makes the whole experience more enjoyable. If you have to use the extender consider the winch mounted into the bed. Hope that is of some help. I've only had my yak since last fall and love it. The forum is very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I picked up my new PA yesterday and loaded on my Thule truck bed racks on a lifted truck. That will be the only time i ever do that again and im still young. I picked up a used jetski trailer on Sunday and having a swing away tongue coupler installed to save space. A trailer is the only way to go and i learned that just from yesterdays knee and back twisting from loading. since garage space is limited have you consider one of those folding harbor freight trailers? fold it up roll it on the caster wheels next to a wall.

~let pure air and sunshine invigorate you~

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 68 and not known for strength, yet I get my PA14 atop my Toyota Highlander without strain. I could NOT do that if I didn't unload nearly everything from it first, mind you. I remove the front storage bin, battery, seat, mirage drive, ice chest, anchor, and all other items (net, fish finder, rod holders, paddle) that I can except for fishing rods. All those things go in the back of my SUV before I load.

I have no place to store a trailer, or I think I'd go that route. But for now and the next few years, cartopping is just fine for me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Trailer is def the way to go if it's an option... I'm 62 with bad back and knees.... no upper body strength, love my trailer. Another benefit is I can unload directly into the water fully gear loaded.... I'm fishing while my buddies are playing the unload, re-load game. Also... those long days when you get back too pooped to pant, you're not looking at a kayak / gear wrestling match.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Have you looked into the 72040012 RHINO NAUTIC KAYAK LIFTER as shown on page 17 in the Hobie catalog?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Old Timer wrote:
Have you looked into the 72040012 RHINO NAUTIC KAYAK LIFTER as shown on page 17 in the Hobie catalog?

The side load thing won't work for my truck bed.
That did get me to thinking about some sort of winch system in the truck bed. I saw a you tube video on a one man EZ Loader but couldn't find where to purchase it.
I'm considering the trailer thing. Right-On has a nice small one that would be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Right On looks fine.
You might also look at the Yakima trailer. They are not cheap but they do fold up for storage which might be important in your case.
I have a Trailex. I have towed my PA to the Everglades and back from Virginia, and also to Maine and back. I am very satisfied with it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a Yakima Rack and Roll 78 last fall and love it. I especially like how easy it is to roll around by hand. I never back the vehicle to the trailer, I just roll the fully loaded trailer to the vehicle. Storing it against the garage wall takes 5 minutes.

Gladdly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gladdly wrote:
I bought a Yakima Rack and Roll 78 last fall and love it. I especially like how easy it is to roll around by hand. I never back the vehicle to the trailer, I just roll the fully loaded trailer to the vehicle. Storing it against the garage wall takes 5 minutes.

Gladdly

2X this is the way to go if space is limited in the garage. Folds up to about 18 inches thick. You have to remove the tires and tongue to fit against the wall. But it is designed for easy removal. Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After a recent knee replacement and reading all of the posts in this thread all I can say is, "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Dinghy Davit?

This is very complicated looking, but same cost as a side loader. Something like this? Mounted to a hitch or rear bar of a cargo rack?

You could make a simpler crane.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

brianBFD wrote:
After a recent knee replacement and reading all of the posts in this thread all I can say is, "Getting old ain't for sissies!"

My mother always said that, now I say it. Two back surgeries two shoulder surgeries..... whatever makes it easier is a must. If it gets me on the water I'm happy. My Hobie PA-14 does the rest.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 98 Nissan Frontier pickup simply because it sits so much lower to the ground than most of the newer trucks do. I put lower profile tires on it as well. I also bought a T-Bone bed extender to mount in the hitch receiver. On flat ground the top of the T-Bone is just over 22" high, when I'm backing down to the water's edge I try to find a low spot for the rear tires to stop in and I have actually gotten the T-bone to be only 9" high. All of this makes it so much easier to load and unload.

I would add a couple of pictures, but I don't have the option to. I don't know if I haven't made enough posts or if this individual forum does not allow it. I can email them to anyone that wants to host them for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This is very complicated looking, but same cost as a side loader. Something like this? Mounted to a hitch or rear bar of a cargo rack?

Complicated, you want complicated??? Check this out. I built it and used it for a couple of years until I sold my Tacoma and my Mokai. It was fun to build and functional. I now have a Toyota FJ Cruiser and a Trailex for my PA but I miss my Mokai carrier.

https://youtu.be/Ak6zaJIK8EY