Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mmiller wrote:
Dinghy Davit?

This is very complicated looking, but same cost as a side loader. Something like this? Mounted to a hitch or rear bar of a cargo rack?

I still don't understand the all tips, rigging, etc... just help mounting a kayak on a car. With the one above we reach peak level!

Look at this:

http://vimeo.com/49914068

PA14, Nissan X-trail 1.80m high, slope behind the car. The guy is 50 old and have no strengh.

Same for other kayaks:

http://vimeo.com/92952378

a simple karting wire. Renault Traffic 2.10m high and the guy is 55 old...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thats exactly how I do it as well and it's usually not an issue....not hoists, no lifts, no motors - and no fancy racks like they have, just couple of pvc pipes that I think are actually better/slicker...and I'm over-the-hill as well. There was one time when after I leaned the front of the PA on the top back of SUV, and then went and lifted the back to push on top that it slid off to the side. I caught/maneuvered it back to center nearly pulling by arms out of socket, but I was lucky it didn't go over the side and crashing to the pavement. The boat was wet and it was very windy out which may have contributed, but I have since got myself a "non-slip" matt instead of the piece of carpet I used to use to put under it. Even that doesnt feel enough sometimes. I'm thinking of mounting a couple of rubber "bumpers" to the top of the hatch door (it's an old suv so I dont mind) where they will help guide the boat, hopefully without impeding it and not getting int he way of opening the door.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The link below is where my wife and I have come to re transporting our Oasis in the back of our Ridgeline versus the hassle of a trailer.

Our Oasis is a long, bulky and heavy yak and is hard to load. What we use can be applied to PA's.

There is a YouTube link showing PAs using basically the same gear we use to get into a Ridgeline truck bed.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47255&p=207891#p207891

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Grampa Spey wrote:
The link below is where my wife and I have come to re transporting our Oasis in the back of our Ridgeline versus the hassle of a trailer.

Our Oasis is a long, bulky and heavy yak and is hard to load. What we use can be applied to PA's.

There is a YouTube link showing PAs using basically the same gear we use to get into a Ridgeline truck bed.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=47255&p=207891#p207891

I actually have a setup much like you show here. My prob is that initial lift to put it up on the bed extender. My back ain't what it used to be, and most of the time I'm launching where there's nothing more than a cut through the mangroves, so no backing it down to the water... ;)

Saw a few wench systems that can be mounted right in the back of the truck. Thinking that might be the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tailgate height for the garage.... Helps in that end still got to lift at the water but certainly helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mswMelbourneFL wrote:
What I've been doing is, with a bed extender arm purchased from Bass Pro a long while back, sliding my Hobie PA up into the bed, and sliding it off to launch. I attached a foam pad to the bed extender to cushion the yak.

I've found that loading has become quite a chore. It's VERY heavy to lift one end to set up on the extender, then it's tough to pick up the other end and push it into the bed. Unloading isn't a problem, as gravity helps.
Is the Bass Pro on beach wheels when you load it?

I just got a 30cm scupper dolly for my AI-2 (106# main hull) and find it not too hard to lift the bow so it is setting on the rear bars of my trailer and then slide the hull forward on the rear bar.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497986 ... 2090031298

Dunno what the max lift is, but it is nowhere near the full hull weight....... Once I get it up there, I flip it over so the gunwales are taking the load from the crossbars - and that's probably the heaviest lift, although using the beach wheels as a lever helps.

The 2" PVC on the center of the bar acts as a roller and makes a big diff compared to sliding the hull on the bare bar - both in effort and hull-friendliness.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]