Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sad day
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last December I was very excited to become the proud owner of a 2015 PA12. There is no question- it is a GREAT fishing platform, under the right conditions. If I fished an inland lake or a body of water without lots of wind and boat wakes, I would probably still be a happy kayaker. However where I live in SW FLORIDA, the wind can pick up quickly and there are too many large power boaters who are totally oblivious to the huge wakes they pull. Having been rolled once, I find myself apprehensive about going out in conditions that I found exhilarating in my old REVO 13. Because I love being on the water every day and there were just too many days when I was afraid to go out in the PA, I bought a 2015 Outback. Although not as spacious, the handling is superb and I think this is the perfect boat for my conditions. So it is with great sadness that I have made the decision to sell my PA12. It was an expensive lesson, and I hope my misfortune might help someone else from making the same mistake I did. Again, I want to emphasize that I think the PA is a GREAT boat, but under the right conditions.

Post subject: Re: Sad day
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So not really a 'Sad Day' just a hard lesson learned with an outcome that makes you more comfortable and safer on the water; half glass full! Congrats on the new Outback.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And this is one of the hard lessons that folks learn about "stability." Boats that are wide and stable on mostly flat water tend to be quite unstable on rolling water - they roll to mimic the water surface. More slender, rounded hull type boats which might be less stable on flat water tend to be more stable on rolling water as they mostly just rise and fall without doing much rolling. There is a reason that those terribly narrow sea kayaks are able to traverse rough seas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:07 am 
Site Admin

You have to stay comfortable with what you use, so good choice. We know of so many people fishing in the open ocean on Pro Anglers that it has to boil down to boat handling. Guys in Southern California and punching out through and back in through some pretty good surf too. For sure the seat is higher on the Pro Angler than an Outback though, so the Outback will be easier to handle in rough conditions.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Labluvr:
I'm out in Sarasota bay quite a bit, and it's a regular washing machine out there most of the time (2 ft chop is pretty normal, then when it kicks up I've been in 4-5 ft chop out there and in and around the TB inlet, not fun for me), I even have difficulty with my TI, I've seen a few PA's out there and wondered about that.
Good luck
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

You are absolutely correct. It is not a sad day as I have finally found the perfect boat for me. I am sad about selling the PA, as I really enjoy fishing from it. However, I want to enjoy all my time on the water under all conditions without worrying about whether the next wave is going to flip me. Yes if one is vigilant and can stay pointed into the waves there is little chance of getting flipped. But when the seas are like a washing machine and all you want to do is fish, it is not much fun. One huge benefit of pedaling the PA for the last 3 months is that I fly on the Outback. With my turbo fins and sailing rudder it is fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I moved from a outfitter to a PA17 and it is night and day difference. The outfitter was much more stable but I couldn't walk around on it in like i can on the PA. For my inland pond fishing the PA is perfect. Although some of my work mates are trying to get me to take it on the river.... I don't think that is going to happen. When I get back to the ocean I am selling all my yaks and moving back to a big cat with a real sail and maybe a sunfish or 2 for my girls. I only fish because I can't sail here.