Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I am seriously considering getting a 17T and wanted to see if it was worthwhile to wait for next year's version or pull the trigger this year. From what I read, there are very few improvements Hobie would need to make and none of those look like deal breakers to me. So I am looking for opinions from other 17T owners.

No need to talk me into two 14's or a 14 and an Outback. The 17T fits what I am looking for now. I just would have to break my personal rule of "not buying a first year production run." But seems like Hobie hit it out of the park.

Thanks in advance.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It is a great boat and I'm glad I got one. We are working some minor steering issues in my boat, but the support I've gotten has been great. One thing I've noticed is that when making a turn, turn the steering handle slowly or the steering line will bang against the inside of the boat. I notice this in close proximity to the forward steering position.

The boat is incredibly stable. Much more so than my PA14. I'm in the beginning stages of rigging it up, but the main challenges have been figuring out where to drill holes and run wire based on essentially two different sitting/fishing positions(rear and middle seating). I'm getting ready to mount a micro power pole on it along with an anchor trolley. I used a drift sock the other day that I tied to the rail and slid forward and aft as needed and it really controlled the drift speed well.

It is heavy and much more cumbersome to move around on dry land than the 14. The cart really helps with this, though I must admit, was stunned at the price of the cart. I also looked at many trailer options and ended up,with the Trailex. It took a few hours to put together and has been great.

The reason I went with the 17 was so I could take my kids, or a buddy along to fish. Previously I would bring two boats, or try to squeeze a kid on the PA14, and it got to be a pain. Sure there are drawbacks to the bigger boat, but as far as the first year of production, I wouldn't let that stop you. They have had 5 years of building PA's, and everything they learned in that process is present in this boat.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love it. I have documented a few nit pics on my thread. The only thing I don't like is the bow drive hole funnel water in when you pedal really hard. This happens weather a person is in the front or in solo mode i'll have to video it. I feels like the bow dives a little and the water funnels into front. As soon as you slow the pedal strokes the water drains. Anyone else have that issue?