Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro Angler 14 or OutBack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So I've decided to buy a Kayak, I've tried both the Pro and the Outback and I orginally wanted the Pro. I like the stability, more fishing room. Someone told me its not a great Yak in the surf or with large wakes. Is this true? I will be keeping it at the beach near me so I'm not concerened with having to carry it anywhere yet. I will be fishing the bay and the Long Island Sound. Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

As far as i know it can handle big wakes and it's good for where your fishing, I see plenty of poeple fish the sound with PA's. I had the 12 and fished the bays here in nj and no problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Having first a 2010 Outback for 3 years and now a 2013 PA-14, I can attest the additional room and the Vantage seat was a real improvement.
Now that the 2015 Outback has the Vantage seat, I would still favor the PA-14 for my use...I use a trailer so transport and launching/recovery are not an issue.
The extra two feet the PA affords, does make for a better ride in sloppy conditions....I do not launch in the surf, but from talking to other guys who routinely surf launch and reading about surf launches, both kayaks have their limitations.
Pick your poison!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I fish inlets with my pa14 and it handles big wakes head on no prob. but I haven't been blindsided yet. I'm sure its bound to happen, but I feel like my awareness is heightened in a kayak. its has never been hard to turn and point my bow at the really big boats.