Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Understanding this has been beaten to death, I am considering a single trailer to tow my pro angler and looking for advice from those with experience.

At this point I have narrowed down my choices to a single PWC trailer or jon boat trailer. Both seem to offer similar features with respect to weight capacity, tire size, winch capability, durability, resale, lighting etc. I would also like the option of modifying it to hold 2 kayaks in the future but am adamant on a single space trailer (do not want dual PWC tlr). A couple of concerns have been the kayak overhang off the end of the trailer (I am trying to aviod that) and the ability to modify it for pvc bunks for better support.

I was hoping for input in an effort to choose one over the other. At this point, it is a coin toss. I look forward to any and all feedback.
Thanks
Rick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Henricus wrote:
Understanding this has been beaten to death, I am considering a single trailer to tow my pro angler and looking for advice from those with experience.

At this point I have narrowed down my choices to a single PWC trailer or jon boat trailer. Both seem to offer similar features with respect to weight capacity, tire size, winch capability, durability, resale, lighting etc. I would also like the option of modifying it to hold 2 kayaks in the future but am adamant on a single space trailer (do not want dual PWC tlr). A couple of concerns have been the kayak overhang off the end of the trailer (I am trying to aviod that) and the ability to modify it for pvc bunks for better support.

I was hoping for input in an effort to choose one over the other. At this point, it is a coin toss. I look forward to any and all feedback.
Thanks
Rick

I just went through this 2 weeks ago and understand. I have a boat trailer that would keep my PA 14 from hanging off the back and a PWC trailer that wont keep it from overhanging. i also plan to carry 2 or more kayaks. I ended up going with PWC trailer due to the size and weight. It allows me to roll it around the garage and driveway with ease and use it as a place of storage. i can easily add on a rack to carry more kayaks as needed. The winch is not needed to hold, pull, or launch a PA from a trailer. I have only pulled mine 4 times now and it is working well. if i went with a boat trailer instead of the PWC trailer, i would not be able to get down trails if im not launching from a ramp (putting it on my truck racks is not an option for trails). I can disconnect and move the PWC trailer and truck around when im in an area that is not suitable for maneuvering.

I probably didnt help you any, but good luck.

~let pure air and sunshine invigorate you~

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mine started life as a single PWC trailer and then had the rack up top added for carrying camping supplies. When I bought my second PA14 I simply cut off the top rails on the front and back of the rack and put the PA14 up there. My plans are to add the 3" PVC up top for the hull to rest on but for now I just have the 36" Hobie pads on the front and rear of the rack and the hull is supported by the rack bars that are spaced every 10" or so.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ring King wrote:

Mine started life as a single PWC trailer and then had the rack up top added for carrying camping supplies. When I bought my second PA14 I simply cut off the top rails on the front and back of the rack and put the PA14 up there. My plans are to add the 3" PVC up top for the hull to rest on but for now I just have the 36" Hobie pads on the front and rear of the rack and the hull is supported by the rack bars that are spaced every 10" or so.

Awesome...where did you get the rack? I've been considering adding a ladder rack or something similar to my PWC trailer that has PVC bunks that I have used for a few years now.

My biggest advice for people considering a trailer is to mount the PVC rails low as possible so you can back in and launch/load when a ramp is available. The upper level is what it is, but I like the fact that the setup you have allows for gear storage or another kayak.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

My trailer was hand built by a welder/electrician in the Bay Area of San Francisco. He had a single jet ski and a small SUV. He needed a way to get his ski, family, and camping gear to the lake at the same time so he busted out the welder and his pipe bender and went to work. The whole thing is fabricated out of galvanized piping. Just after he finished building the trailer he scored a smoking deal on another jetski and needed to sell the trailer to buy a double jetski trailer. I snatched it up off of Craigslist for $500. Not only had he built the rack but he had completely rebuilt the trailer with new axle, hubs, tires, jack stand, and lights. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

I would prefer a side by side trailer for the Pro Anglers, but that's not in the cards right now. I've got plenty of room on this trailer for both PA's and I hung my 5 year olds kayak under the rack last weekend with ratchet straps. I just snugged it up to the rack with the straps and it was suspended perfectly above the bottom Pro Angler. There was plenty of room for it with the Vantage seat removed from my 2014 PA.