Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum, so I thought I would throw it out there to see what you creative guys can come up with. I am looking at getting a 17t and I don't want to pay the dealer $1,900 for an unpainted trailer with 12" wheels and no bow holder. So I am considering getting a single jet ski trailer and retrofitting it. But I am not sure the best way to do it? I want to buy the OEM Hobie cradles, which will mean removing the carpet running boards. But how much work would a trailer shop need to do to put in the cross bars?

I found this one for $500. I like the Zieman trailers, as my family had one and it held up very well for us.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the Yak will fit the boards I wouldn't do anything. My trailer had the same v supports. I mounted aluminium rectangle tube cross mounts then boards with PVC pipes for supports. I tried wood 2x4s first for cross embers but they warped.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=41336&p=171330&hilit=trailer#p171330 I would do it just like that

~let pure air and sunshine invigorate you~

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was going to chime in but i think you have an answer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know some will disagree but if I did mine over again, I would use 6 " PVC instead of 4 " because you can't get your hands in the 4" when you use it for storage. I used cross members and boards because I have 2 PAs and a Toy box on mine ........ Looks like a batmobile, lol ....... But I can store everything I need for kayak fishing and trailer road repair.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you end up going with PVC? I'm thinking of the 17t myself and looking at single jet ski trailers right now. When I was talking to the dealer they said PVC wouldn't work so well with the 17T because of the weight, supposedly they've even got some reviews on pipes breaking with the 14' PA. Also, I went to my local Home Depot and the longest sections they had were 10 ft in length. Does anyone carry anything longer or will I need to connect a few pieces?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

1. If you use schedule 40 PVC, 2 7/8" OD, I can't imagine the pipe breaking. I set the front to back connecting point at 67" apart.....same distance Hobie recommends for the cradle set.
I have been carrying my PA-14 for almost 2 years on the PVC pipe above and no sign of any pipe failure.
The PVC "takes a nice sag/conforms to fit the hull shape".

2. Since I live in an agricultural area, our local irrigation supply store carries PVC in 20' lengths.

3. You can splice the PVC pipes with a coupler designed to connect lengths together. You can always screw/connect the PVC pipe and couplers together with SS sheet metal screws or use the proper glue and primer.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I went the trailer route. I will post pictures when it is all done but i will summarize what I did.

I found a single jet ski trailer made by Zieman. I had a Zieman years ago when I had Sea Doos and they are great trailers. It is probably more of a trailer than I need for a 250 lb kayak, but there are some advantages. Foremost you get he bigger wheels which means you can tow faster than 50 mph. Also I want that heavy duty trailer so it doesn't bounce around as much if I am towing over u paved roads.

Now the model I went with was a J-1B. This was a 16.5 ft trailer and it included a box at the front. I would have loved to keep the box but it would fit in my garage as it had to be under 20 ft including any length the Hobie hung off the back.

So after talking with a welder at the local trailer repair shop, we decided to take the box off and move the bow stop to the front. I also moved the crank from the hitch of the trailer to a side flip up that is bolted into the side of the trailer. They are installing two cross beams at 60" on center from the bow stop and 70" from that first cross bar. I will have the 17t cradles installed on those bars. That's pretty much it. All in, it will be about $1,500 for a great trailer and with cradles. I didn't want to risk it with the PVC because I wanted something that wouldn't affect the hull. Plus imagine it will keep its resale value pretty well.

Will post before and after pictures when I pick it up.