Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm curious if others have found it more convenient to just remove the tackle management trays or do you use them regularly? I've been using them, but I keep my terminal tackle in a waterproof 3500 series Plano box just like the 3600 that comes with the PA. It's too small for the TMS and slides out the sides. I tend to get into that box the most. So I find it kind of a pain to pull out the TMS every time I need to get into the smaller box underneath. I could probably rig something up to block it from sliding out, but I think it would be easier to just remove the trays and have all my boxes right there in the hull under the lid. Problem is that the TMS is just so dang cool that I can't bring myself to remove it just yet. I've thought about transferring my terminal tackle into one of the 3600 boxes, but I just don't need a box that big for that stuff and I have a handy place on my bass boat that I keep the smaller 3500 box when I'm fishing on that boat. I know, life is rough when your worry is trying to figure out where to store your fishing tackle. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've got a 2014 PA14 and I removed the TMS and replaced it with the drop in bucket. I velcroed the TMS to the side rail and it really simplified my setup. I keep the necessary things in the bucket and I've got my Planos right at my side. Doesn't help if you're using smaller Planos but the drop in bucket is a great accessory.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I removed the TMS and went with the bucket on my 15 as well.
I can now hold 4 medium plano boxes that fit the TMS in there along with 2 three pound anchors with plenty of room to spare.
Nice idea using the TMS as an additional exterior storage option.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just picked up my 2015 PA-14 a couple weeks ago. Sold my 2014. I went with the tackle bucket this time and removed the TMS. The bucket has lots of room. The other thing I did was get the H crate with the tackle bin. I think it will come in handy and it can be mounted on the outside of the rail on the sides of the kayak. Life has been crazy, my wife is having her second hip replacement tomorrow so all my work lately is placement in theory. I haven't had a chance to get on the water and probably won't now for a few weeks.

I keep moving stuff around, I'm sure I will change things ten more times and it won't be right until I see how it fishes the way it is set up.

I will say that being able to mount things outside the rails give just that little bit of extra room. Seems like a few inches here and there is a big deal when surrounded by equipment.

In my mind it's all good, on the water may be another story. Tight lines.

I usually bring too mush stuff, you should see my ice fishing sled. Think I need a 4 wheeler. Getting old.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I removed the TMS and went with the bucket as well. Also, I used small bungees and attached the TMS to the back of my seat. Has worked out great there and not in the way of anything.

2014 PA 14 Olive
2014 WS Ride 115x Camo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just bought the bucket. the TMS just wasn't maximizing the locker's storage ability. I love the improvised tms ideas. maybe i'll attach it to my cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I bought the bucket tray when I first purchased the 2013 PA. It provides better storage and allows me to keep my phone and camera in that storage for easy access. As was mentioned in previous posts there is still plenty of room for a couple of tackle boxes. I have a YakAttack BlackPak on the rear deck and keep all my other tackle boxes in that. Still have the under seat storage if needed.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass