Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trolling motor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering adding a trolling motor to my pa14. I would like some feedback from people who have used both rear mount and side mount. And would a 30lb be suffice or should I look for more? Was also thinking bassyak kit yay or nay?

Post subject: Re: Trolling motor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The 30lbs works great. It gets me to an average of 3.75 MPH.

I have a rear mounted trolling motor, which suits me fine since I only use the trolling motor when I need to get from point A to B...generally longer distances. In other words, I don't use it if I need to make tight turns. For example, it's not that great for fishing a small lake/pond. It take quite a bit of space to make a 180 degree turn. With the side mounted trolling motor, you can make tighter turns.

I have trolling motor set-up I did myself, similar to the Bassyak version. If you want some pics, text me at 314-691-8six80.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My PA12 has the bassyak trolling motor on it and it works great it push the kayak to 7 mph it also has steering pedals and lift kit to pop it out of the water when beaching.
sam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Saw something recently for a do-it yourself cheap way to go. It was on you tube under KayakDYI . Used a Watersnake trolling motor I think. Goes into the M-drive hole. I think the whole thing was in the $400 area. Check it out if you're inclined to do DIY project.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Pricey but I mounted a Torqeedo Ultralight 403 on the stern of my PA-14. I wanted to be able to use my Mirage drive and the motor depending on the situation. As stated above..... going from point A to B. Works great. This is a very lightweight unit. The battery floats and the motor has a safety kill switch should you capsize. The whole unit battery and motor is under 20 lbs.

There is a thread called Pro and Cons: Torqeedo Ultralight 403. The members on the site jumped right in to help. There are photos there to see what the install looks like.

Lots of options out there.