Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

What would be fantastic for kayak fishing , is a mini-motor ( like Ultra-light but smaller) with a GPS "anchor" (like the Minnkota I-pilot).

Someone who wants to keep distance for the rivers border ( Bass fishing for ex.) would fix it on front, the other one who wants to keep a point on the lake when it's windy would fix it on the rear...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Memory Maker wrote:
Hey Tom ........ I am on the Torqeedo Pro team and I contacted the HQ. Chad and the President are aware of it and will be in contact with you to see if they can make you happy. The are a first class organization and they care about their customers.

Also ....... There is a new app from Torqeedo that uses the GPS ...... Also they do have a battery that will power a yak for days but it might be a little large for a yak. Also they have engines that will make a yak fly buy they are built for larger boats. We have water around here that will only allow electric engines. There are 20 ft Jon boats with 2 Torqeedo engines that push them at 10+ mph all day.

Keep you eyes open for some new products next year ...... Mostly for boats.

I owe you a debt of gratitude.

I'm an old dog, so new tricks come hard for me, but this electronic social media thing seems to have a lot of merit.

When we are unjustly treated by a large entity(corporation or bureaucracy), the only power that us little people have is word of mouth, or keyboard as it were. I'm sure there's a large portion of customers that just take it on the chin and just let it go, which enables the bad policies to continue.

I'm glad to hear about the new developments in technology which Torqeedo might have coming down the pike. Though I may have to get lucky playing the lottery to be able to take advantage of them. Lol.

Thanks again,
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I wish Torqeedo would put some type of cowling or something on the leg of the 403 right above the motor. The round leg on the 403 starts blowing a hole in the water behind it once it hits around 4mph allowing the prop to drag air down it and in to the prop making a slurping/gurgling sound ..( Its called cavitating).. Like a blender...and i'm sure that is a performance robber as well....something like the Travel leg would be ideal and it wouldn't even have to go all the way up the leg! Just the portion of the leg in front of the prop should do it...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You can probably make yourself an anti-cavitation plate with some white cutting board material (walmart), a drill and hack saw. Just drill a hole slightly larger than the shaft and hold in position with a wrap of duct tape above and below the plate.
Just an idea
FE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats a good idea i was pondering already but after discovering a couple of huge cottonwood leaves wrapping around the leg in front of the prop cured the problem i am leaning towards making something to change the shape on the aft side of the shaft. The round front doesn't hurt...its the round back once you reach 4mph and above. Needs to be tapered behind like a teardrop....

Last edited by Yak9107 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put one of these 'Yakima Windjammer's around mine...

It doesn't exactly fit but 2 small bolts did the trick. It seems to work. :)

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... 01115.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

joemoglia wrote:
I put one of these 'Yakima Windjammer's around mine...

It doesn't exactly fit but 2 small bolts did the trick. It seems to work. :)

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... 01115.html

Now you have the idea i was thinking about right there....You put this on the 403 ? Could you explain the fit not being right ? I'm guessing to small and you had to pull the ends together with screws or small bolts ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Exactly right... The back end would not snap in place so well because the bar is just a bit too big.

I just took 2 stainless bolts and drilled holes near the back trailing edge... thew in some washers and i was able to tighten down pretty good. You can still slide the plastic piece up and down but it seems to stay in place okay.

I wish the 'Windjammer' was a bit longer but so far I think it helps...

The 'Yakama' sticker on mine peeled right off... so it looks good too.

It was about a 5 minute project once the part arrived.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

joemoglia wrote:
Exactly right... The back end would not snap in place so well because the bar is just a bit too big.

I just took 2 stainless bolts and drilled holes near the back trailing edge... thew in some washers and i was able to tighten down pretty good. You can still slide the plastic piece up and down but it seems to stay in place okay.

I wish the 'Windjammer' was a bit longer but so far I think it helps...

The 'Yakama' sticker on mine peeled right off... so it looks good too.

It was about a 5 minute project once the part arrived.

Thanks! I will keep this in mind. I was thinking about making one out of a plastic/nylon folder as well but you nailed it ! I'm guessing the cavitating stopped? Did you notice any performance gain up there? I did when those big leafs wrapped around mine. Not a lot but it was there...

Last edited by Yak9107 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

......... They have the plates on the 503 and 1003's I think

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi There!

Well, I don't want to set expectations too high with this. I think it helped... sounds quieter to me and no gurgling on flat water.

Could something be a lot better?... You bet, but for the time and effort I am pretty happy with it.

I did not really see a change in performance but I wasn't really looking for that either...

I am still trying to get the mount for the 403 on my TI correct (I made it so it attached with gear tracks). I don't think the prop is deep enough in the water.
I wish the down pipe was a little bit longer. :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

joemoglia wrote:
Hi There!

Well, I don't want to set expectations too high with this. I think it helped... sounds quieter to me and no gurgling on flat water.

Could something be a lot better?... You bet, but for the time and effort I am pretty happy with it.

I did not really see a change in performance but I wasn't really looking for that either...

I am still trying to get the mount for the 403 on my TI correct (I made it so it attached with gear tracks). I don't think the prop is deep enough in the water.
I wish the down pipe was a little bit longer. :)

If it stopped the cavitating it more than likely helped efficiency. I found that mine would really pick up speed well until that 4 mph mark then the speed gained was gradual as the cavitating started. .
When the leafs got wrapped around the leg i had no idea. I just noticed the cavitating was gone and it was picking up steam better so it got me thinking and i raised the motor and saw the leafs around it which fell off and then back to normal again.
Not sure about the TI but they are borderline on the PA. I have about 2" sticking up through the wing plate so i could lower it some more and probably push the cavitation point up a bit but that isn't as efficient . I want the least amount of prop in the water as possible.
Right now its about 2 1/2 " under the surface which should be plenty if the leg issue is addressed .
Shouldn't have to bury the motor to make it work right. The further away the motor is from the swivel bracket the more things will rock and roll as leverage will increase on the mounting points and will also have the motor running deep which will be more drag on the system and will put the motor coming in contact with stumps, rocks etc more often.
I'm actually hoping i can raise mine back up a little after addressing the cavitaing problem...
You running in the ocean would definitely need a longer shaft.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This is just a quick throw down but you get the picture....a little 2 sided tape and fill the back void with some tuff stuff spray in foam and you're in business. ...and dont forget the Realtree Xtra camo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

TomK wrote:
Memory Maker wrote:
Hey Tom ........ I am on the Torqeedo Pro team and I contacted the HQ. Chad and the President are aware of it and will be in contact with you to see if they can make you happy. The are a first class organization and they care about their customers.

Also ....... There is a new app from Torqeedo that uses the GPS ...... Also they do have a battery that will power a yak for days but it might be a little large for a yak. Also they have engines that will make a yak fly buy they are built for larger boats. We have water around here that will only allow electric engines. There are 20 ft Jon boats with 2 Torqeedo engines that push them at 10+ mph all day.

Keep you eyes open for some new products next year ...... Mostly for boats.

I owe you a debt of gratitude.

I'm an old dog, so new tricks come hard for me, but this electronic social media thing seems to have a lot of merit.

When we are unjustly treated by a large entity(corporation or bureaucracy), the only power that us little people have is word of mouth, or keyboard as it were. I'm sure there's a large portion of customers that just take it on the chin and just let it go, which enables the bad policies to continue.

I'm glad to hear about the new developments in technology which Torqeedo might have coming down the pike. Though I may have to get lucky playing the lottery to be able to take advantage of them. Lol.

Thanks again,
Tom

For anyone that might have been interested in my Torqeedo experience, I have put the motor through a pretty good testing, and it seems to be like new. Of course the motor is new.

It was a trying situation because of the particular things that happened in the course of buying and using the motor. It is very debatable as far as what may have caused the problem with the water entry into the motor. I have my ideas and the repair facility had their ideas, and that's what made the whole thing a tug-of-war, but I don't want to rehash all of that.

I just wanted to let folks know that the Torqeedo is performing as it should on my kayak, and I'll see if I can make a short video of my kayak with the motor in action. If the weather cooperates.

Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Below was edited as I was able to get more info from Torqeedo.

I would really appreciate If you guys can share your thoughts about my concern. I'm planning to buy the Ultralight but with the Torqeedo Travel 503 instead of the 302. I had the understanding that a 503 battery has everything a 302 battery. Only downside with 503 is the weight (3 lbs heavier) and the shape. I think it's still wise to purchase the Ultra light motor with the 503 battery and the 90 watts charger. I heard from Torqeedo rep that they cannot sell the motor with battery upgrade but maybe some dealers would go for it.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next