Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would like to get a Raymarine Dragonfly FF/GPS combo unit to replace my old Eagle. My PA14 is circa 2010, before Hobie began molding the Lowrance transducer recess into the hull. I know that I could rig up a transducer arm that hangs over the side but worry that this would be just one more thing to get in the way while trying to net a big salmon or lake trout. Has anyone figured out how to mount one of these CHIRP transducers to an older hull? They don't do well with shoot-through-the-hull installs.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about mounting it off the stern like any other aluminum or fiberglass hull fishing boat would do?
The transducer usually comes with a mounting bracket for this style of mounting.
It's far enough away from the Mirage Drive fins so not cause any issues....just a thought.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Doc... That's got me thinking. I bet some bright young engineering student with access to a maker lab (or a Hobie engineer for that matter)could knock off some 3-D printouts of a mount that would screw into one of the rear drain holes of the stern skid plate, permit the transducer wire to enter the hull there in a watertight manner and then mate to either FF-specific or generic mounting hardware. That would provide an in-water stern mount for nearly any FF and avoid all the issues with shooting through-the-hull.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jim_MI wrote:
Yes, Doc... That's got me thinking. I bet some bright young engineering student with access to a maker lab (or a Hobie engineer for that matter)could knock off some 3-D printouts of a mount that would screw into one of the rear drain holes of the stern skid plate, permit the transducer wire to enter the hull there in a watertight manner and then mate to either FF-specific or generic mounting hardware. That would provide an in-water stern mount for nearly any FF and avoid all the issues with shooting through-the-hull.

Scooped again!
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:432607
This Raymarine Dragonfly mount was custom designed for a non-Hobie yak and 3D printed on a maker-bot. I am intrigued by the possibilities of printing all sorts of custom accessories, or even a whole yak for that matter!