Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't figure out how to release the Boa Tensioner on my Pro Angler. I accidentally tightened it too much and it will not loosen. Has anyone else had this problem?

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look on page 16 in your owners manual, it shows how to release the tensioner....same as the lumbar support BOA on the seatback....pull straight out the adjusting ring :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The first thing I did was check the manual. I understand how the Boa Tensioner works but when you pull it out to release nothing happens. The line stays tight. If I drop my skeg down the tension releases. My kayak was also affected by the skeg line routing issue, which I repaired after getting the kit from Hobie. I'm assuming the skeg line and the rudder lines are rubbing against each other or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 am 
Site Admin

The boa is pulled out and allowed to turn counter clockwise to unwind to release. Pop in and turn clockwise to tension.

May be a routing problem as you noted... Possibly tensioned when un-wound due to the crossed lines.

Camera in the hull can help diagnose.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:14 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Your skeg line is wrapped around your rudder line.
Mine was doing the same thing. Very tight steering when skeg was up.
Stick a smart phone in the hull and take pics of the metal steering throw inside the hull. Work your way back to stern with pics and you will find the problem....you want the skeg line above the steering crank and free of any wraps from there back.
Hobie really needs to work on their quality control.
The only way these wraps can happen is from being routed wrong atbthe factory as the only way to fix them is to reroute the line which is wrapped. As you can see, I had both the skeg tension line caught under the steering throw and a wrap right behind the molded in rod holder.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:56 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="Yak9107"]Your skeg line is wrapped around your rudder line.
Mine was doing the same thing. Very tight steering when skeg was up.
Stick a smart phone in the hull and take pics of the metal steering throw inside the hull. Work your way back to stern with pics and you will find the problem....you want the skeg line above the steering crank and free of any wraps from there back.
Hobie really needs to work on their quality control.
The only way these wraps can happen is from being routed wrong atbthe factory as the only way to fix them is to reroute the line which is wrapped. As you can see, I had both the skeg tension line caught under the steering throw and a wrap right behind the molded in rod holder.

You were exactly right. My skeg line was the same, which makes sense because when the skeg was up the steering was being pinched by the lines. Seriously? I paid too much money for this kayak to be spending hours fixing problems from the factory.