Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seat raising/lowering
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have had my PA 12 for nearly 2 years and my only concerns have been with the seat. First, the seat bttom tore and it was replaced by Hobie under warranty.
But now the seat lowering/raising is a problem. It seems the cord wraps around the spring and causes problems where the seat will not raise or lower. Even when new, it was very difficult to operate. Seems like a design issue to me. Is there any fix for this?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a PA-14 with the same Vantage seat and have not experienced the problem you describe.
It might be a problem with how the line was routed and attached to the adjusting drum and this video has a good close up of the line in question https://www.youtube.com/embed/8wT68Isvb ... eme=light&

Another tip is to elevate your bum slightly when adjusting the up/down drum......removing the weight/pressure makes a big difference and you can see this is being done in the video, but not high lighted.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had an issue with my 2015 PA14 right when I got it. The spring at the front of the barrel adjuster like came unseated. My dealer fixed but just gave me a new seat anyway. This could be your problem. Like steelhead catcher said too, take some weight off the seat a bit when you adjust it. Also, when turning the barrel adjusters towards you, rememeber PUSH FORWARD FIRST. You actually have to push and give the handle a slight suggestion of turning away from you to disengage the locking mechanism fully. Then she's smooth as silk. Vantage seat is the best thing since sliced bread. However, sometimes it would be cool to be able to side saddle a bit easier. But the armrests are also so awesome so much of the time, not to mention the epic adjustment ability.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Snookmeister wrote:
I had an issue with my 2015 PA14 right when I got it. The spring at the front of the barrel adjuster like came unseated. My dealer fixed but just gave me a new seat anyway. This could be your problem. Like steelhead catcher said too, take some weight off the seat a bit when you adjust it. Also, when turning the barrel adjusters towards you, rememeber PUSH FORWARD FIRST. You actually have to push and give the handle a slight suggestion of turning away from you to disengage the locking mechanism fully. Then she's smooth as silk. Vantage seat is the best thing since sliced bread. However, sometimes it would be cool to be able to side saddle a bit easier. But the armrests are also so awesome so much of the time, not to mention the epic adjustment ability.

I of course know to take weight off the seat when I am trying to adjust the height. When I bought it, I sat in a demo and had a problem with adjustment in it and the salesman also had a problem standing right besdie me. His remarks were that you never do much adjustment on it anyway. Then the one I bought started having problems, and now I cannot get it to move standing alongside of it. I took the side cap off and the spring has a bent end that seems to hook somewhere, but I don't know where. I didn't have much time to study it, so I put it back as best I could and it worked a couple of times but now back almost the same.
I am encouraged that other folks are not having a problem and that you had a problem with the spring being unseated. That is exactly what I am thinking. Any idea on how to seat the spring?
Will work on it some more after my trip to Key Largo next week.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Is there a diagram or video on how the piece of string is to be routed? I have been having issues with my seat bottom also.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you look at this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/8wT68Isvb ... eme=light& at 13 seconds, 19 seconds and starting at 1 min 54 secs
you can clearly see the spectra line is wound CCW (counter-clockwise) around the adjusting barrel.

If it is installed in this configuration, it would be next to impossible to wind it around the spring as it's aft of the spring and within the vertical end flange of the adjusting barrel....
The spectra line has two complete/full turns CCW around the adjusting barrel before being fed under the seat to the left side termination on the arm rest.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok. The line on the lower portion of the seat can come off while in transport.
The line should not be wrapped around the spring. There is a barrel part on the rear part of the handle that should have the line on. Once you know what to look for it becomes apparent.
When ever the loop comes off, look for the slack in the line that raises and lowers the seat of the well, seat. The slack line will come off the barrel and screw things up. If that makes sense.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, it perfect sense...I can see how it could happen as you described.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I purchased my new PA 14 two weeks ago and finally got time to try it out. One hour into the trip the rope broke that raise and lower the seat. This was very disappointing! I made a call to the dealer when I returned back to shore and was told I'm #3 with the same issue this week. I'm only 195 lbs and I was already not so sure about this rope deal and was wondering why Hobie didn't use some kind of cable vs rope. Very unhappy at this time

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:13 pm 
Site Admin

The issue is not the rope strength... It is a problem with the loop pulling out of the splice that creates the loop. Sorry about that. The line weave tension changed... we have since increased the splice length. Easy fix I understand. You can use a small bowline or half hitches until warranty tells you how they fix them.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)