Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a PA 17t on a trailer I tow with a Ford F-150. When the Hobie is on the trailer, I have no problems reversing because I can see the H-Bar above the bed of my truck. But when it comes time to reverse down a launch and the Hobie isn't on the trailer, I am driving blind. I end up looking like a moron because I can't see the trailer until it is on its way to jack knifing.

I know some people add PVC piping to each side of the trailer as guides. I'd prefer not to do that, so I am looking for a mobile/temporary solution. My idea is to get some sort of magnetic flag I can put on the back of the trailer that is tall enough for me to see in my rear view mirrors. But most of the flags I see are very short. Would love something telescoping so I can pack it away nicely.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When you get to the ramp, just put a rod in each rear rod holder before backing to use as a reference. They should stick up high enough or just drop the tailgate so you can see it if you have tailgate clearance. Just a thought using what you normally carry.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Search for trailer alignment in Amazon for magnetic telescoping rods with tennis balls on the end. This may do the trick.

2006 Quest
2015 AI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two ideas:

1. Drop the tailgate. Now you can see the entire trailer, loaded or not.

2. Glue a foam block somewhere on the trailer underside near a wheel. punch or bore a hole through it to accommodate a section of fiberglass or aluminum tubing. Mount a round section of orange foam (pool noodle will work) on one end. Push the other end into the bore in the foam. Slide it all the way in. At the ramp, pull the orange marker/tubing out of the foam block about a foot or so. Just enough to see it in your side rear view mirror. Back away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have the problem When the kayak is not on the trailer, so the pole holder idea won't work. As for dropping the tailgate, it hits the front crank. Already tried that and didn't hink about it and ended up with a good dent.

I will look into the pool noodle idea. I liked the trailer alignment products but the reviews were not good. Seems like the tennis ball at the top is so heavy the telescoping pole ends up bending and doesn't stay straight.

Zieman Trailer w/ Cradles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

As temp idea only.

Maybe an old fishing rod with a flag on top put in a PVC tube that has a bolt as a stop at its bottom.

Same idea as above but length of bamboo.

Same idea as above but using a extension paint roller pole

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Install a trailer hitch on the front of your truck and "drive the trailer down the ramp"...it really works.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I feel your pain!

I have had the same problem with my PA14. Luckily, I already had a set of telescoping trailer guides (designed for hooking the trailer to a tow vehicle). They have a magnet base, with yellow foam balls attached to a telescoping radio antenna, that can be placed anywhere on the trailer. I put mine on the fenders. They can be purchased at Northern Tool and I believe I have seen them at Tractor Supply Co.

Of course, a backup camera works great also. I just installed a $70 model that I picked up from Northern Tool.

Novice yak'r in training

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is the link for the guides sold at Northern Tool. Walmart may sell them also.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200470566

This is the link for the Northern Tool Back-up Camera. A very straight forward installation.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200631820

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

A lot of ways you can do it, here's one way I used a few years back. PVC on a short piece of steel... You can even run wire for a light if backing at night.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had the same problem with my short-tongue HF trailer. So I mounted an extra Scotty base to the back end of the trailer, in the midline, below the level of the PVC bunks. Then I just use my VisiCarbon flag for guidance when backing up. At the end of the day, I remove the flag from the rear PA deck and walk back to the parked trailer with it. Pop it into the Scotty base on the back of the trailer and I can see where the rear of the trailer is just fine. And it is very easy to keep the flag lined up straight in the rear view mirror when backing down the ramp for a pickup. The VisiCarbon flag also has a built-in light which helps at night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am just now building a Hobie Traillex for my PA14 and was wondering about the same issue. My (tentative plan) is to bolt a PVC cap on each side and then put the PVC pipe in when needed. I don't plan to make it permanent, so after loading or unloading I'd pull them out and throw them in the PA or the back of the truck. Seems like this will work. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My trailer was originally set up with bunk supports but is now converted to PVC. I used two of them bunk mounts fixed to the back of the trailer to attach my uprights so I could see where the trailer is going when bnacking down a launch ramp. Works great. I have since slide an 18" section of 3" PVC over the bottom of them on each side so the kayak doesn't get scratched up when the wind decides not to cooperate when getting back onto the trailer.

I added supports to brace the 48" uprights. The supports have some flat stock metal pieces running through them for added support. Hope this helps in some way. We all have our ways of doing things.

Add some reflective tape for safety and BOOM DUN!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgvarn......if you look closely at the aft crossbar, you can see the way I mounted two fiberglass poles so I could see my Hobie Trailex trailer when reversing ...

Basically, I found two spring mounts for radio antenna's one would mount on a car or truck for a whip antenna.
I drilled and tapped the base to accept the Trailex 3/8 x 16 bolt that slides into the aluminum channel and then enlarged the top to accept a 1/4" fiberglass pole I epoxy glued in and then covered the top tip with a red plastic cover.

This works really well and since the fiberglass rod can "give" if hit or run into by someone, it will not break because of the spring base.
I used blue Loctite thread locked on the 3/8 x 16 bolt and just tightened the spring base with a pair of channel lock pliers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dr. Steelheadcatcher

Thanks! I was actually going to PM you about those. I like them because they're not big and bulky but still visible. Did you buy your parts locally or online?

Also, how long are your PVC bunks before the 11 degree downturn? How long is that extension?
Just got my PVC today and couldn't find 11 degree couplers. Had to order them online. I've got a few days to get it all together.

Thanks!