Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H Crate assembly help
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just got my new h crate in. Can't get past the first step. I have tried every possible way to get the rails seated in the corners but just can't do it. And to watch the videos of people doing it with ease further angers me. Even had my wife try. No luck.

So I come to you guys for help. Any tips or tricks?
And yes I know about lining the flat and the h up together.

The only thing I could think of for not working was maybe due to being stored indoors in the a/c all day and then put together. Gonna let it lay in the sun for a few hours before I give a try tomorrow. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

By hand requires significant force. I used a couple of wood blocks or a corner of a work bench and a block with a mallet. Place a block into the crate corner piece in a way to apply direct force to the part that the tube slides into. Works like a charm.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ill try that, just picked up a mallet and couldn't get it with the backside against the ground, ill try on the side of a work bench. Even added some lubricating oil, this is nearly impossible, have no idea how these people in the videos assemble this with ease.

The female section of those corner posts are really starting to get chewed up. I wouldn't think this would be this hard.

Thanks for the reply matt.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had trouble as well. I assembles 2 rod holder/corner pieces at a time with the sides and after some f bombs and the likes i got it together.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

finally did get it together, took way longer than expected. The grooves in the corner pieces just got so chewed up most of them went in. Was able to mallet the rest. oiled them up pretty good.

After messing around for about half an hour trying to complete the puzzle with out a bar popping out one of the corners, I ended up screwing the bars in before i did anything else. side panels went on easier than than the bars but they also needed the mallet. The last piece the bottom actually wasn't that hard to put on.

The product looks good, i like it, haven't been on the boat with it yet, tons of room, unlimited amount of rigging opportunities. but their had to have been a better way to build it. engineering dropped the ball. no wonder the consumer has to build the thing, you would have to pay someone 20$/hr to build that. what a pain...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mix a little dishwashing soap with water, dip the ends of the rails in the solution, slide rails into fittings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thoroughly disappointed in the H crate. For the money that this costs, it should not be this difficult to assemble.The H rails will just not fit into the crate without fear of breaking something. I tried soap and water, silicone spray, and a rubber mallet. This will be sent back and I will try the yak attack product next. Extremely poor design.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:50 pm 
Site Admin

Be sure you are lining up a flat surface to the top...

Quote:
I used a couple of wood blocks or a corner of a work bench and a block with a mallet. Place a block into the crate corner piece in a way to apply direct force to the part that the tube slides into. Works like a charm.

Less than 5 Minute assembly maybe 3.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

rchinson wrote:
Thoroughly disappointed in the H crate. For the money that this costs, it should not be this difficult to assemble.The H rails will just not fit into the crate without fear of breaking something. I tried soap and water, silicone spray, and a rubber mallet. This will be sent back and I will try the yak attack product next. Extremely poor design.

I think it should be easier as I also struggled. I ended up keeping the crate and adding the cover too.

I just don't care for the straps. They are too long for the connection points on the 2015 PA14.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:10 am 
Site Admin

We have been reworking the stock to make assembly easier. Getting it too loose is also a problem.

You should be able to position the crate and get a tight strap in a PA12. Maybe you are going lateral? The only model I have heard that requires effort to get tight is the Outback.

We have designed a new hook with integrated ladder lock so shorter distances can tightened. This is now standard in H-Crates

You can update:

71126001 HOOK, GATED, W/LADDER LOCK ($4.99 USD / USA 9-2015)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:27 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Been working pipe and fittings all my life. After struggling with the fear of breaking the plastic corners, I finally used a hammer and wood block to slam the frame together. It worked, nothing broke, and the sides and bottom were easy. But to expect the average guy to assemble this crate is unreasonable. As a product, it's a beautiful thing. Well worth the money, but should be sold assembled. JMHO

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
should be sold assembled

Just added cost and added freight costs / volume. We could offer either or... that might be interesting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I considered that before I opened my big yap on my first post, but it would be a nice option for those that are less mechanically inclined.

I should add that I LOVE my new PA 12! Been fishing it in the ocean and the bays around Long Island, and have nothing but praise for it's design.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Just added cost and added freight costs / volume. We could offer either or... that might be interesting.

On second thought... that is what a dealer is for. They should offer assembled if their customers want it that way.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

When I purchased mine it was sitting assembled on the dealers floor, Benson's Sports Derry NH. Probably not a bad idea for dealers to offer this service if people are having trouble assembling the product for fear of damaging the goods.

Love my crate but it was not without it's problems. Hobie jumped in with the help of my dealer and repalced the broken parts for me. Thank you, Hobie.

The corner strap attachment points on three of my corners ended up broken. I have since decided not to use the Hobie straps and went with rubber bungies around each of the crate corners. Works great and I do not have to worry about the attachemt points failing and having all my equipment all over the highway in transport.

The crate works for transporting my rods, tackle boxes and the H-rail allows for other attachments to be added. The H-rails expand the options and usefulness. Happy with the product.