Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have just completed assembling my new Trailex trailer and as always went trolling to steal everyone's great ideas on setting it up. I noticed that the position of some Hobie PAs varied quite a bit on the trailer so it made me wonder if it matters.

Using the 2014 PA14 model I have as the benchmark, I've seen PAs loaded where the side rails are right above the axle and others where it is much further forward. Having it over the axle seems like it pushes the rear of the boat further out, potentially blocking the view of the trailer lights (remember the Trailex has two lights mounted on the center rail, not the outside area).

Hope all this rambling makes sense...bottom line, has it mattered to you how far forward or aft the boat is positioned on the trailer?

Thanks for your insights!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You want the tongue weight to be 10-15% of the total weight of everything. Add the trailer, kayak and add extra for added items in the kayak. That total say is 300 lbs and now the weight on the hitch is 30-45lbs. Take a bathroom scale and set the tongue on the scale to get a reading. This will help you to know if the kayak is pushed forward or needs to be more back.

This will help to keep any trailer sway to a minimum.

If you go to etrailer dot com and search there it will have more info on how to measure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the great answer. I had no idea there was a "formula" for figuring this out. That will be a big help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sgvarn......Keep in mind that the recommended tongue weight of 10 - 15% really applies to larger trailer loads.....as an example if your trailer weighed 1800 pounds, the 10% to 15% tongue load rule of thumb = 180 to 270 pounds.

It really gets back to the gross weight of your rig......my fully loaded PA-14 is on the order of 170 pounds, then add the spare tire up front, front winch on its post and finally the "3rd wheel" to save your back maneuvering the trailer in your garage, the tongue weight of my Trailex trailer easily exceed 110 pounds......
Since my 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R hitch is rated for 200 pounds max tongue weight, with a maximum trailer weight of 1000 pounds w/o brakes and 3000 pounds with brakes..... you can see in this case, the max hitch load is not an issue since the gross weight of the trailer is under 350 pounds.
Being able to lift the tongue was the main issue for me.

So, to lessen the tongue weight, I relocated my axle forward so it's about 57-58" from the end of the main center beam.......this reduced the tongue weight to the low 70 pound range.....it trails like a dream behind my Outback.. no sway issues at 70 MPH.......then, I moved/relocated the lights up to a portable 2 x 2 that is u-bolted to the rear PA carrying handle....a simple 18", 4 wire plug pig tail makes the wiring easy to modify.....and now the lights can be seen by traffic behind your trailer.
See the photos below for reference.
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here are some new close up photos of my PA-14 on the Hobie Trailex trailer.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

When I load the PA, I pull out the winch strap to just forward of the trailer axle, pull the PA up onto the 11 degree angled pipes and snap the strap clip to a heavy duty clip on the front carry handle of the PA....then crank her onto the trailer.....a simple and low effort recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doc, if there was a 'Like' button here, I'd hit it for your setup. Nice job.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks!
Being into my 70th decade, I needed to make handling my PA-14 easy and this really works well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Doc,

That looks like a great setup and one that works perfect for you. :D I wish mine were that clean and smooth underneath. Where's the oyster bar rash? Baptised the 2015 PA recently in the salt. Now it has a few scratches on the bottom. :wink:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass