Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cylinder white styrofoam
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I heard something rolling around in the hull of my PA14, opened up the rear hatch and there was a white cylinder styrofoam piece just rolling around. Any ideas where this goes and how I put this item back in its place?
I'll attach a picture but not sure how to do that. Somebody told me once but I can't find his instructions. I promise I'll get better at this as time goes on, plus I retire August 3 and I'll have plenty of time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I believe that these pieces of foam are from the factory. I noticed them when I installed my fish finder. I am not sure of the exact location but I believe it is supposed to be in front of the transducer scupper in the middle, with it orientated in the horizontal position. I will check when I get home today and if no one else has chimed in I will try to get a picture for you showing the exact location. Hope this was some help.

Hobie PA 14 (His)
Hobie Outback (Hers)

"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." -Mitch Hedberg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Their primary function is internal safety fotation in case the hull is compromised in some way. These keep the hull from completely sinking. Every Hobie kayak and sailboat has them. The second is structural support that has varied over the years and models as to where they need to go. There may be a miss-matched one still in there on the left or right side?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt but how do I reinstall the foam piece? Is there another one directly across from it ? All I need is a reference point and I can probably get back in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you too Magnasty, I'm going to look right now and see if I can get it back in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:17 am 
Site Admin

Ranger wrote:
Is there another one directly across from it ?

That was my first hope:

mmiller wrote:
There may be a miss-matched one still in there on the left or right side?

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hm, I didn't realize they were supposed to be in a particular place. I have two square blocks of foam in my '13 Outback and they're constantly moving around, especially when I load it on my truck rack. It gets tipped up on end and rides upside down on the rack. I may find them both under the front hatch, or inside the center hatch, or even clear at the back.

Right now I've just been sliding them out of the way and making sure they aren't getting into the rudder lines.

So is there a proper place for them, and should I try to keep them there? (Adhesive maybe? Though I understand there isn't much that'll stick to the PE hulls...)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Mystery solved, there are two white cylinders directly across from each other. Both have a factory made groove on the top of them and are positioned directly under the front seat mounts of the PA 14. The under belly portion of the seat mounts fit directly into the factory grooves and the bottom portion fits or wedges against the hull.
FYI, I figured this out when I was wiring my PA14 with a Humminbird Helix 5 fish finder and boy was that #%|€£ fun. Maybe the 2016 PA's will have a better wiring system by not having an under belly rear nut to tighten, if you have 5ft arms, but rather a threaded "screw in"from the top and done. Other than that PA LOOKS GREAT and I can't wait to do some lake and ocean fishing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:34 am 
Site Admin

RandomJoe wrote:
Hm, I didn't realize they were supposed to be in a particular place. I have two square blocks of foam in my '13 Outback and they're constantly moving around, especially when I load it on my truck rack. It gets tipped up on end and rides upside down on the rack. I may find them both under the front hatch, or inside the center hatch, or even clear at the back.

Right now I've just been sliding them out of the way and making sure they aren't getting into the rudder lines.

So is there a proper place for them, and should I try to keep them there? (Adhesive maybe? Though I understand there isn't much that'll stick to the PE hulls...)

Most models do not have specific placements. This discussion concerns Pro Anglers. These boats use the foam to support floor and side areas.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can only speak for the 2015 PA's but in addition to the two white cynlider styrofoam there are 6 gray square styrofoam blocks, 3 on each side, and in front of the white ones toward the bow. All of them are just kind of wedged in there, if yours are starting to lose some tension maybe ad some type of adhesive or something. Mine are holding but my 2015 PA 14 is brand new. Hope that helps.