Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am really close to purchasing a PA 14 but before I do I am trying to get figured out on transport methods especially since I would likely have to drive over 1000mi from point of purchse (I live in a very remote part of the world right now)

I really don't want to go the trailer route as much as I can avoid it, not so much for the first transport back home, but later on not having to park and drive with a trailer on the back. Tertiary reason is to reduce overall cost and save more money for accessories, etc. Or at least allow me to delay a trailer purchase for when I move to an area where I can find one for a much lower cost.

Do any of you transport your PA 14 on the roof of an SUV that is smaller? I drive a 2001 Nissan Xterra which has a rather short roof base. I was thinking of options to not only carry it on the roof but means for loading/unloading solo as well.

The roof rack on the Xterra is pretty solid but I was thinking of adding some type of surface or material to reduce scraping/friction and also aide in getting it down, etc.

Any other SUV owners here that don't trailer?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I mounted PVC to the racks on my xterra, spaced to the width of the troughs (sp?) on the bottom of my PA12. Throw a bath mat over the back of the car when loading, lift front of boat up, pop wheels out, lift from back and push up onto PVC...boat slides easy into place. Strap it down and I'm on my way. I used the Thule CLAMP-ON adapter for the xterra for mounting the PVC to the racks. I got 2 pair off ebay for like $25.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Food for thought...
Having car topped a Hobie Outback on my Subaru Outback where the roof rack is not as high off the ground as your 2001 Xterra and have "experienced car top loading issues", I can offer one bit of cautionary importance.

If it's the least bit windy, you need two people to load a PA-14 as it can quickly "get away from you" while loading.
Not only is the PA-14 heavy and 14' long, but it's wide and "makes a wonderful sail" in the wind.

I have owned a PA-14 for the last two years and use a Hobie Trailex trailer modified with 3" Schedule 40 PVC parallel pipes.....From your post, saving money at this time is important, so looking for a used PWC/Jet Ski trailer is one good option as they are generally less than $500 for a single wide trailer and easy to modify.

Using a trailer for a PA-14 is not only safer but it's ready to go fishing on a moments notice..... 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SteveLIBS could you post some photos of your set up with the Thule clamp ons please?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Before I got my truck i toped my pa14 on a lifted up jeep cherokee it had a 4.5in lift and 32in tires im 6.1 and couldn't see over the top of the jeep .It was a work out to put it on top but it can be done just take your time and when you get it home you might want to try loading and unloading it a few times to see what works for you