Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is my introductory post here but I have been reading a lot of good info already so I don't need to ask too many repeat questions (hopefully). I just bought a 2014 PA14 that was not properly loved (I think the guy who had it was a spoiled, live-at-home 20-something who didn't respect what he had) - he left it out in the Florida sun. No big deal, it's a little faded. It didn't come with a manual (already downloaded this), the tackle management tray - already purchased, but now need to find a proper piece of para-cord to tie it up. Does not have an 8" hatch liner either. The guy told me these were options (I knew better). I still need to order a set of grommets for installing my Huminbird. I'll pick up a can of dry silicone for the hatch o-rings and latches. I will order some gear tracks for the mounting boards once I decide between 12" and 16" (I like Ram mounts and will probably put my FF and a Ram rocket launcher on one side, and a rocket launcher on the other side).

So here's the issues I need your help with at the moment:
1) the foam inserts are basically just loose, I did not measure them so I don't know if there are different sizes. The only two I pulled out did have a noticeable slant to one end which seems to match the bottom. Where do I put these for proper support?
2) The lumbar support dial does not allow the cords to relax. I have just flushed it with hot water and dish detergent. It pulls out easier but no improvement in relaxing the cords. Any advice?

Thank you for the space and the expertise.

ElFuego
Atlanta, GA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Boa lumbar adjustment system is replaceable - part # 84507581 if you can't get it working. The entire catalog is available as a free download and there you'll also find parts guides for the PA's on pages 56-58 - link: http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/87367027-international-kayaking-parts-catalog.pdf
I'll e mail you a diagram for the foam pieces

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I finally had some time to fiddle with this PA14.
Is there a trick to positioning the foam inserts between the deck and hull? I find the ridges that seem to be there for support but also to keep the foam from shifting. I can't seem to get but 1 under the seat. Also, is there any adhesive or are they just wedged in?

I have concluded the lumbar adjustment reel is not going to release tension. I have washed and lubed it (spray silicone).
I wish I had just bought a new one at this point instead of saving $900. Somebody in the southeast could take this 2014 (that's what he said, but I think it may be a 2013 - I can't read the hen-scratching last digits of the S/N) for a hundred or so less than I paid for it. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ElFuego,
1) Since you now have the foam block location info from Hobie....they are a tight fit....so muscle them into place....you can always use some Gorilla tape to secure them once in place.

2 .....go to your local variety store and purchase a stick of children's "sidewalk chalk", in a contrasting color to your hull color......wipe the chalk over the S/N area several times and your S/N will be very visible :idea:

3) As Jbernier said, the lumbar BOA is replaceable, so if you destroy it as you try to release it, it's no big deal. I would spray some WD-40 on the mechanism and then yank/pull really hard the outer knob to see if it releases.
These are cheap/simple solutions to solve the issues you have described.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you Dr. Steelhead. I'll try to get those foam blocks forced into place.
The lumbar dial pulls out nicely and has the appropriate little mechanical click sound. It just will not unwind. I will shoot some WD-40 in there today.
I had already grabbed a pinch of charcoal ash and smeared it on my S/N and it's hard to tell if the last digit is a 3 or 4. The guy who sold it to me sold it as a 2014. Looks most like a 5 (but it's definitely NOT a 2015). Could be a very angular 3 or a pathetic 4 - what's your opinion?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ElFuego,
I agree with you on the "poor penmanship" ....the last digit appears to be a "3" to me. Maybe the prior owner bought the PA-14 in 2014???
Since you have the Lowrance Ready hull, that feature first came out in 2013.

Re the BOA....after soaking the inside with WD-40, and with the knob pulled out to unlock it, grab both straps where the plastic fitting that the BOA lines go through and pull really hard to see if the drum will turn, releasing tension. There are several inches (8"-9") of line wound on the BOA drum.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got it on the water today and enjoyed it. I'm going to work on installing the foam blocks and be happy with the savings over a new one. I stood up within 10 seconds of getting on the boat which pleased me. I'm a fan of the PA14. Thanks for the advice.