Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Picked up my new PA 12 from the dealer last week, got a chance to take it out on the water just this am, ran into a problem right off, I can steer to the left with the steering handle on the left, but cannot steer to the right, it's like the line goes dead, I can with the right handle steer to the right, but can't steer to the left, again it's like the line goes dead.
I haven't popped the adjustment cover yet, anybody have this issue before, I found some stuff on making adjustments using the search but nothing related to this. I'm a little hesitant to go monkeying around to much with the steering cables, would something like this be a pretty easy fix?

Thanks
John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why not call your dealer and have him adjust/fix it??

Page 28 of your owners manual shows how to adjust the line for centering/adjusting the rudder. This is good to know in any case.
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... 140429.pdf

This diagram shows how the rudder lines are routed inside the hull.
http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... iagram.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Appreciate the info, did not get an owner manual with my kayak. Would prefer not to have to haul the kayak back to the dealer if I can avoid it. Will do some fiddling with the tension and see if that cures the problem
John

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Open the rear hatch and see if your steering& rudder lines have crossed each other. They should be running parallel to one another but if they're crossed it will cause problems. Such as stiff to very difficult turning.
Once you open the rear hatch, activate the video on your phone and scan both sides of the PA stern to bow and view the video. There is not uncommon and their is a solution on how to fix it. This problem was also on the forum as well, with pictures of what the problem looks like.
Let me know if this is the problem and then I'll give you directions on how to untangle it