Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Folks,
Well I'm new to this forum as well as to Hobie kayaks. That being said I've been kayak fishing for a while now but recently bought a Pro Angler 14. Love the kayak but feel like an absolute rookie at times taking for granted the differences between this kayak vs my other one. This leads me to my first question, hope it's not bad form to have my first post on this forum be me asking a question and not just sticking to a simple intro. I should probably start by saying I'm an absolute nut when it comes to (trying) to take care of my things, in this case the Hobie. So when these little issues come up I tend to over think them and look to get a second opinion. It would seem I made a rather (dumb) mistake, I purchased a Hobie brand kayak trolley in order to move this rather heavy beast around. I've used it a few times now and it definitely is needed for moving any long distances. Though, while flipping it this evening to put the wheels in I noticed a small flat spot on either pontoon next to the rear scuppers. Turns out the wheels have been rubbing and left two wear marks on the bottom of the kayak. I was amazed that rubber tires could do that but I guess friction is friction no matter where it comes from. They don't seem too deep but enough to leave a couple flat spots, maybe an inch and a half long by three quarters of an inch wide. My question is, should I even be concerned with this or is there plenty of material to handle such an idiotic mishap. Thank you in advance and if anyone else has done such a thing (as is willing to admit it, lol) would love to hear from you. Thank you in advance and looking forward to checking out the forum.
P.S. Trolly has been properly adjusted and wheels do not touch the hull, duh.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lex,

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some 1 inch PVC. The issue is that the black collars on the posts will slip down when the PA is under load. Here's a picture of one of my Hobie HD Carts. Cut a spacer about 3/4 of an inch and put it under the black collar. My PVC was cut by hand and isn't exactly straight, but you get the idea. Making the PVC spacers will ensure your tires never rub the hull. Your space size might vary. You want just enough room above the deck so you can slip the retaining pin in.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Steve,
Thank you very much, great fix and very much appreciated. That's the exact same trolley that I have so I will definitely do that. I wondered if they were slipping, just glad I noticed it before they wore a hole in the hull, lol. Really nice to have these forums for these exact sort of things. Let me ask you something, I had heard that the older Hobie's had issues with cracking in the scuppers from using these types of trolleys. As a result Hobie began using the black scupper inserts to prevent this from happening. Have you heard this before? Thanks again for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lex,

Hobie added the reinforced scupper inserts with the 2012 models. Those inserts were indeed added to help strengthen the scupper areas for cart use. I have never had an issue with using the cart in the scuppers. I'm sure it all depends on how much you weigh the PA down and the type of terrain you pull it across as far as the stress put on the scuppers due to the cart shafts. I know from first hand experience how tough those inserts are.

Welcome to the Hobie and Pro Angler family. I'm sure you will love fishing out of the PA.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass