Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:28 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I was thinking I may replace my fish finder's deep cycle 9AH gel cell battery with something like this. Price seems good. It would be a lot smaller/lighter than the current battery. There are some with about 12AH for under $50. The FF draws 0.65amps.
Maybe there's a good reason to avoid these - I know LiIon batteries can burn.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MF70BPU/ref ... Z11MVV3VQ1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From the published specs, it should work in your application. However, the very first warning note states:
"Do not use the power bank in places with high humidity or where it may be exposed to wet. "

My take is the battery would need to be placed in a sealed container, to preclude moisture from damaging/shorting it out internally. The battery case must not be hermetically sealed.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, Steelhead, I'd pick up something like this for about $10 and seal a pigtail through the side. That's what I did with my gel cell even though it didn't need to be water tight.Image
Just wondering how they hold up to running a fishfinder. My first acid battery was about a 7AH and it would die after only 5-6 hours. Then I realized i needed a deep cycle due to the repeated charging cycles. It works fine for my Huminbird 788 with a Navionics chip. This would be a lighter (significantly) weight option, and it will cost less than half of a direct replacement.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like a great idea.
Check this one out...

http://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechar ... dicator%29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a couple nice things about throwing batteries (even sealed batteries) in a closed container. Great place to keep your inline fuse, and it also makes it easier to attach a strap/Velcro to keep the battery in place. It also helps keep corrosion off of the terminals, which happens to every battery--sealed or not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My battery arrived today. It's being charged right now. I cannot believe the size and weight of this little powerhouse. Supposed to get 6000mAh at 12V, that should provide almost 9.5 hours of power to my Humminbird 788ciHD. I am hoping this <$30 experiment performs.
Keys in the pic are for scale.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep us posted on performance please. Its got my attention ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm using the Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery. Pretty pricey at $209 but that's less than the $249 I paid for it 18 months ago. Thing weighs less than 2 pounds. I keep it in a Pelican case in the hull under than vantage seat. I power my Elite 5, nav lights and led lights. I don't use the lights much so mainly just powering the fish finder. I can take it out 4 days a week, 4 hours a trip and barely drop below 12.9 volts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F9LPL5E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's a link from an earlier post of mine with some pics.

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=54071

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

cool setup Kansas, but different than my goal of smaller lighter (okay, your's is lighter than my gel cell) and inexpensive.
I found a small box today at Academy for $5.99 and just cut out the internal ribs to make room for the battery. The only drawback i have found so far is the connector format (2.1x5.5) is impossible to buy locally. The cable that came with the battery is a y-configuration which I don't want to cut into and then decipher. I ordered a 10-pak of pigtails so I can connect my power cable.
This package is so small and light I think I will just velcro it on the underside of the mounting board.

Tipper likes the whole idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Pigtails just arrived so I drilled a hole in the box, pulled the power cable through, knotted it on the inside of the box and spliced it onto one of the pigtails after verifying their polarity. I'm running the FF in simulation mode to get a feel for run-time. I know the transducer has got to be a large portion of the overall current draw, but I don't think you're supposed to power those if they aren't in the water to keep them cool(?).
Anyway, 15 minutes in and the Humminbird is going strong. I've yet to silicone the power cable entry and fill my splices. I'll do that shortly.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I ran the battery yesterday evening for 4+ hours with the FF set in the simulation mode (no x-ducer connected). So, I am feeling pretty good about the experiment. Set the battery up to charge and took a fishing trip this morning. I ran the FF (Humminbird 788ciHD which includes GPS) for 5 hours. Never dropped below my 9.5v low voltage warning threshold. I am happy with this battery. Will it last? Who knows? Is it small? Yes. Is it light? Yes. Did I have to pull wires through the hull and contort my arms to get to the hull fittings? No!
I simply left myself about 2' of power cable. I knew I was gonna have a big coil of x-ducer cable (I did not want to deal with the hull fittings so I bought a Ram x-ducer arm). This is a good way to go if you don't mind hearing the sloshing of the x-ducer arm as you move across the water. I do think I'll put the arm in the middle of the 3 Ram balls (rocket launcher, FF, x-ducer currently).

Here's a couple of shots which show the battery box velcroed up under the mounting board on the gunwale.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've use a similar battery the past two years and it works great. I probably should be more careful about getting it wet. I use velcro straps to attach mine right to the back of the fish finder.

One thing to note is that these are very often overstated in terms of their capacity. I use this one. It is stated to be 3800Ah, but is actually 2300Ah. Regardless it powers my Lawrence Elite 4 HDI with GPS for about 4-5 hours. Plenty for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RQ ... detailpage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Are you guys basically using a usb charging cable to power your ff? I have a 16000mah battery pack we use to charge our phones on the go, never even thouht about using that for the ff/gps. Can you show me the connection to your ff power cable? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Neckbone wrote:
Are you guys basically using a usb charging cable to power your ff? I have a 16000mah battery pack we use to charge our phones on the go, never even thouht about using that for the ff/gps. Can you show me the connection to your ff power cable? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Ditto this question ElFuego. Are these the female connectors you purchased and did you need both male and female? I just pulled the trigger on the battery....Thanks

http://www.amazon.com/HDVD-10pack-5-5mm ... 07NFJBYKVW