Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi All
I found myself viewing this and several other forums in the past looking for lead core info, because I troll for bass and trout with lead core.
That was a long time ago, and I got some good information. Now I want to share something that might be useful.
I’ve trolled for many years on the same lake with lead core line, and have always wanted to get more accuracy on actual depth.
So I decided to do something about it. I created a simple App based on actual depth readings so that it could assist me.
The App is on my phone so it’s always there when I need it, and it’s been serving me well.
I just placed that App on Google Play for .99 cents, partly for the fun of it, and to maybe recoup some of the tests cost.
I believe it’s pretty accurate and figured might be useful to some guys who troll. My phone is Android based, but I think it’s compatible with most devices.
Anyway if you’re curious, and might find such an App useful search Google Play for fishing lead Core line. I had a good year and believe this App improved my catch.
If anyone uses it and feel it was helpful that would be cool.
It doesn’t take any water current into consideration.
I plan on doing more actual depth checks next year for verifying accuracy, but currently I believe it’s pretty accurate.
If you do use it be kind, I know it’s not fancy, but it is useful and very easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds useful. On a kayak I can only carry 1 lead core rod so mine is actually spooled with 20 colors. I commonly work lure depths of 70-120 ft and have had as many as 15 colors out. The linear geometry (typically about 7 ft drop per color at 2mph) breaks down when putting out a lot of line due to the line drag and resulting catenary line profile (one end af catenary fixed at rod height, the other variable at lure height). At some point, putting out more line just adds more drag and adds no more depth. How well does your app behave at 70+ ft depths?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI wrote:
Sounds useful. On a kayak I can only carry 1 lead core rod so mine is actually spooled with 20 colors. I commonly work lure depths of 70-120 ft and have had as many as 15 colors out. The linear geometry (typically about 7 ft drop per color at 2mph) breaks down when putting out a lot of line due to the line drag and resulting catenary line profile (one end af catenary fixed at rod height, the other variable at lure height). At some point, putting out more line just adds more drag and adds no more depth. How well does your app behave at 70+ ft depths?

Hi Jim
The App to date has only been confirmed up to 37' and uses 10 colors max. With max app Lure weight and 37 lb test depth will reach 60', however only up to 37' confirmed (about 8 colors). Only had 45' to bottom and was afraid to lose my electronics, but next year I will move to a 90' bottom zone and further confirm depth, and check for drag flat line. I'm also adding a feature that will allow auto speed entry via GPS which will be a free upgrade. The 18 lb and 37 lb test line I was using Sufix Performance Lead core which is a nice middle of the road quality. The 832 line I believe is rated 7 ft per color at 2 mph. You must be using that or something similar. As I stated the App was developed with myself in mine so will never make use of 20 colors - man that's a lot of reeling. I found also that color is fairly linear, but speed is not.

Nice to hear from you - Enjoy your fishing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI - just curious as to why you're using 20 colors and not using snap weights ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

JJB - I am not using 20 colors, just spooled that since I knew I needed more than 10 colors and next size up was 20. I have never used snap weights but probably should when I find myself trolling 90 ft down with 400+ ft of line out! I used to use torpedo weights but found that challenging when trying to unclip a 12oz weight with a feisty 20lb chinook salmon boatside. Lead core is very easy to use and productive at "reasonable" depths, and it is just too simple to put out more line when you find them deeper.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Got 'cha. I fish inland lake's where the thermocline averages between 30 and 50 feet mid-summer. Generally I can use 7 colors or less to get the desired depth.

If I'm looking to go deeper, I'll run a 3-way swivel with either 8 or 16 oz weight to get there. Sometimes a pain with a fish on, but I'm generally hooking up with lakers less then 8 lbs, so I don't have the problems you have with a 20 lbs salmon.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just wondering what you feel your best trolling speed is? Are you using a trolling motor?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dd- trolling speed depends on the target species. For salmon I aim for 2-2.2 mph, lake trout and cisco about 1.7, pike and walleye around 1.2. I do not use a trolling motor, so actual speeds will vary with wind and conditions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Interesting most of my trolling is between 2.3 and 2.7 MPH for browns/rainbow and bass. Hook up a lot of yellow perch too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dd- Are you using a trolling motor? I don't think I could do those speeds for a prolonged length of time. I know that I should go faster for Chinook salmon, but I guess I am getting too old!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I use a minn Kota 80 lb trust with the I-Pilot. I use this in conjunction with my motor in idle and use the trolling motor to steer. I do this to avoid charging often. Next year I will be using the trolling motor mostly by itself except when very windy. I will have electric on my boat slip next year so charging will not be the problem I had this year having to carry the batteries home.This will give me better speed control which will also help me fine tune the lead core depth cal app.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jim_MI wrote:
Dd- trolling speed depends on the target species. For salmon I aim for 2-2.2 mph, lake trout and cisco about 1.7, pike and walleye around 1.2. I do not use a trolling motor, so actual speeds will vary with wind and conditions.

Just added to the App Auto GPs speed usable with line depth display. Speed Averaging included to smooth actual change in line depth with changes in speed.
Also Average restarting for maintaining accuracy. Having done on the lake testing yes of the new auto speed but looks good during walking tests.
Latitude, Longitude, and actual GPS speed are also displayed.
Likely will come up with some other ideas to add on.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=fishing%20lead%20core&c=apps