Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

...was cleaning my 2015 PA14, and lifted out the cargo bin to find the item pictured below rolling around on its side. Is it a part of the kayak? If so, where does it belong?

Or is it a remnant of the packing/shipping procedure?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:27 am 
Site Admin

Positive flotation and floor stiffener. Look for one under the floor without a matching one on the other side.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the identification of that part!

Initial inspection showed no sign of a duplicate piece within the gut of the kayak, but I will head out to take another very careful inspection later today.

I am grateful for your help on this.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

whatsnewpops wrote:
Thank you for the identification of that part!

Initial inspection showed no sign of a duplicate piece within the gut of the kayak, but I will head out to take another very careful inspection later today.

I am grateful for your help on this.

There should be two of them to support where the seat sits or where you would stand up in the yak... Search this site and it will give you the correct location if M Millers description did not make sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm thanking mmiller and Thinwater skinner for helping me with my "errant parts" question.

I did a follow-up inspection of the interior of my 2015 PA 14 this afternoon. As a result, I have 3 more questions to ask. They appear at the extreme bottom of this post.

This is what I found:

1. The port-side white foam support was found in proper orientation below the deck location where a person would place his left foot if standing on the deck. The first photo below shows that support (I washed the color out of the photo, as the lighting was dim and overall definition was better in that area as a black/white image).

2. There was a starboard-side white foam support lying on its side near its proper location. It was not attached to anything and did not support anything. I also had the white foam support that I found in a forward area of the kayak that had motivated my original post. This gave me 3 white foam supports.

3. The area just forward of the support location shows a "clean-up" or repair area that extends towards the center of the kayak for about 9 inches. The most starboard end of that area ends in a deep, uneven series of ridges or folds in the hull material. There is no evidence that this area affects the exterior of the hull - the exterior is smooth and has the correct shape.

PHOTO1: black and white image of the white foam support that remained in place.

PHOTO2: white foam support that had been missing placed in correct location, with irregular interior surface shown.

PHOTO3: extent of irregular interior surface , ending with "rippled" area.

PHOTO4: close-up of the rippled, melted, or machined area.

Questions:

1. Is there a location in the kayak where the 3rd white foam support that was found should be placed?
2. None of the foam supports (white or black) in the kayak's interior are glued in place. Each one can easily be shifted with very little lateral pressure. Is that condition proper for this kayak?
3. Is the interior machining shown in the photos within manufacturing parameters for the PA14?

Like most of you, I want to learn everything about the kayak and insure a long and safe operating history for it and its operator.

Thank you for taking a look at my observations and questions.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One of the Hobie techs (and a mod on this forum) emailed the following diagram to me. It's for a PA12, but it's very similar to the PA14. I had all of my foam blocks loose inside my boat when I bought it (used) and have done the best I could to get them back in place. I know some of them will fall if I hit a bump in the road while it's in my truck. Judging from this pic, and my memory, you may have an extra round support.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ElFuego, Thank you!

It helps a lot. I will keep an eye on my roaming foam blocks, and will try to do something creative with the extra round support I have found (no suggestions needed).

Best regards!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

The ripples of plastic and "clean up" area are related to the molding process. Nothing to worry about. There is a vent where the hatch is later installed. Melted plastic collects on the vent material and when it builds up... typically drops into the hull during the molding process sometimes making a mound of molten plastic that flows off as the hull rotates in the oven. If there is enough material left to cause issues with hatch use... they grind it down.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

mmiller, Thank you for your informational comment. Your explanation makes sense, and matches well with what was observed.

No more questions for a while - all I want to do now is fish.