Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks in advance for reading. My wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a PA 17T and we're examining all of the options for transporting. Currently, we have no Reese hitch on our 2005 Honda Element but have hauled more stuff in the back of this vehicle than any pickup I've ever owned.

Has anyone transported a 17T in a Honda Element, using the cleats and tie-downs? I measured the interior length from the back of the front passenger seats to the edge of the tailgate (down position) and measured 7.5 feet. My high school physics reminded me that the fulcrum would be a good two feet behind the edge of the tailgate but I'm thinking that, with proper strapping inside the Element, we could throw a red flag on the end of the yak and be good to go.

My thoughts are that this may be more convenient than a trailer or a hitch and support. We're both very able-bodied and shouldn't have any difficulty loading and unloading. Will probably spring for a dolly for transport between the car and the water. Curious to learn what the experts have to say.

David

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Over half the length is cantilevered. Sitting still it might be okay in cool weather. But you will hit bumps and potholes. Also wind buffeting. There is an awful lot of mechanical advantage at the fulcrum. And that fulcrum, in my mind, will be at the lip of the tailgate or inboard. I recommend a bed extender at least.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:roll: Trailer, trailer, trailer :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ya really want to gamble with an expensive piece of equipment , not to mention the high possibility of high liability and possible death when ( not if ) it falls out the back because you didn't want to spend the money for at least a trailer hitch and a hitch extender or a trailer which is the best option.

Get a trailer ......... Also test drive the 17 .......... It's gotta be a bear to handle and to launch especially without a trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We are in a unique situation. We live in a townhouse and the HOA won't allow motorcycles or boats/trailers to be parked or stored in the parking lot (and we live at the beach!). We have room for the kayak behind our unit but the access will not allow a vehicle without tearing up multiple people's yards. The thought process here was trying to figure out a way to transport and store the 17t, while avoiding the question of "where to put the trailer." I suppose we could treat it like a boat and pay for year-round boat storage but that defeats the purpose for getting a kayak. Oh, the struggles of downsizing. We really aren't being cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We just pulled the trigger on the 17t with dolly and trailer at Kitty Hawk Kites, here in Beaufort, NC. Thank you for your input. We realized there was little chance that we could manhandle this barge. Looking forward to reading all of your posts, now that we will be on the water ourselves.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congratulations and you will not be disappointed with you "combination package" purchase!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

dalbright1963 wrote:
We live in a townhouse and the HOA won't allow motorcycles or boats/trailers to be parked or stored in the parking lot

Sounds like you better listen to reason, and get a bed extender to change the balance point off the tailgate.... Maybe you will live, what abou the car/truck behind you? Check the state laws about how far you can have an extension behind the car with out lights... You can purchase a light system and attach to the end of the yak... I have seen this before and it will help the people behind you at night judging distances...

Be safe, don't text while driving and have fun...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A PA14 is more than enough to handle and is probably right on the edge of logistically being able to strap it to a vehicle. But a tandem 17? I'd never buy one without a trailer. If you and your wife ever do decide to try to put it in or on a Honda element, be sure to film it because it will be comedic gold watching the two of you wrestle with that 17 foot long alligator :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 06 Honda Element EXP and a PA 17t... I would not try to load this in the back! You would have just under 10 feet hanging out of the hatch. We have a trailer we use and the craft nd trailer together are light enough for me to muscle around to put it where needed. If you have a spot to put the kayak, you have a place for the trailer...