Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternative to SeaDek
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Recently I ordered the off the rack kit for my PA-12. It's ok, but I am not overly impressed with it so far. However, I have been trying to decide whether or not to order another kit for my PA-14. Have been emailing with SeaDek for several weeks now, and I am getting more disappointed in the company as my direct questions to Paige never seem to get answered. Here is the latest from them: the standard kit is one layer (5mm) with no logos and costs $270. Add the underlay color and the price is now $290 and adds 10 days to 2 weeks extra time since the kit is now being "modified". Add anything other than standard logos and the price is now $320. The shipping for my PA-12 kit (front end only) was $26, so I assume an entire kit will be somewhat more for the PA-14 bringing the cost to more than $350. This being a bit much, I looked for an alternative and found another Florida company named OceanGrip. Their one color PA-14 full boat kit is only $130 ($270 SeaDek) with ground shipping of $9 or 3 day shipping for $15. Has anyone had any dealings with OceanGrip? If so, please post your thoughts and feelings about their product.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It looks to be pretty similar and is the same 5mm for the single layer. I just sent them an email asking about a kit for the PA12. I would order the sample if you are interested just to see how it compares to the SeaDek.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Richard,

I never looked at the OceanGrip product as I didn't realize it existed. Maybe if you decide to go that route you can post pictures and your thoughts on the product. It's always nice to have alternatives for folks to consider.

Sorry your SeaDek initiative is not going well for you. I do know they recently moved and between that and an explosion of business for all their applications, they are probably behind in several areas. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I bought a pad for my casting platform that sets on my vantage seat armrests and so far the OceanGrip pad is working out nicely. SeaDeck wanted $159 to make a pad for me, I paid $44! No contest if you ask me.

They're supposed to be coming out with a PA12 kit at any moment. The kit is light years cheaper than SeaDeck and doesn't have all of the SeaDeck hidden costs.

Hobie Pro Angler 12 (awesome)
Native Mariner 12.5 (sucks)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thought I would put on a follow-up on my latest contact with SeaDek. When I requested clarification for a quote, this is what I received. "...the competitors material is less than half the quality of SeaDek and our material is priced to match the quality of the product." Further on, Paige says "What I mean by changing color is there is a drawing that exist, but it is not the color you are requesting. Any changes, whether it be materials or logo work change the price." In other words, SeaDek says their product is more than twice the quality of OceanGrip. They also say that any color other than the standard stock color adds cost to the price. That is a bit arrogant and seems to be a sly way to increase profits. Oh, well. They have lost me as a customer, and since we have two local clubs with well over 500 members, I doubt they will get much business from this area when the word gets out.

Finally Retired, Fish Beware!

2013 Hobie Pro Angler 14
2012 Hobie Pro Angler 12
2001 Hobie Hank Parker Edition Outback

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Spoke with Oceangrip today 5-23-14. They should have the PA 12 pattern out next week. The cost will be $130 for full set of pads in one color and $220 for dual color. The price will go up most likely 25% for a teak look. So check in one to two weeks online. My experience with Seadek has seriously made me not want to do business with them in the future.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Want to see the feedback on Oceangrips.... you usually get what you pay for :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:25 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all!! Stumbled upon this blog today while racking my brain on what other uses we can promote for using our amazing product outside the marine industry. It is humbling to see our product/prices and customer service are being thrown around by word of mouth. I do administration and promotion for OceanGrip and have worked for the company since it's first opening day and must say how proud I am to be a part of this. One post caught my eye though and I will assure you NOTHING about Seadek's product surpasses the quality or durability of our product. They are in fact almost identical. Here's the kicker though... they have nearly 10 x's the manufacturing ability (meaning they have far more machines running) - that to me says they SHOULD be faster and less expensive than us... but 9 times out of 10 they aren't faster and they never cost less. We are family owned and operated we have a passion for what we do and we aren't in the business to get rich we here because we truly live on the water and know that this product can be used by everyday people just like us. Thank you for giving us a try and we hope to continue doing business with people just like you for many years to come. :D