Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I took my new PA out for it's maiden voyage / shakedown this weekend. The only issue that I have is with the steering handle. The steering is set up on the left side on the boat. In order for the boat to steer straight ahead I needed to turn the handle 45 degrees to the right (inside the boat) and 90 degrees to the right for the boat to steer to the right. If the handle is directly over the H rail the boat steers to the left.

My issue is that I am unable to center the handle over the rail because it will not extend (left) past the rail. It appears that the rivet post is preventing the handle from moving past the rail.

I tried centering the handle by adjusting the rudder lines but with the same result. In other words the handle's center position is 45 degrees to the right of the rail and is fully extended on the left side while sitting directly over the rail.

Dealer is 2 hours away so I'm looking for DYI help.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you by chance release the Rudder Boa tension line before adjusting the rudder lines to center the handle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the reply Dr.

The first attempt at centering I did not release the Boa. Then I thought that was the problem so on the second attempt I released the Boa and same result.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another possibility is one or more of the internal foam blocks, was dislodged and is preventing the lower-internal part of the rudder "tiller/handle" mechanism from moving to the left or port side.

As you know, the rudder mechanism is internal on both sides of the kayak, since a second rudder tiller handle can be installed on the right or starboard side too. So something that is jamming the mechanism sounds like the issue.
You can use the camera on you phone, to take pictures if you can't get your head inside to inspect the mechanism.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Mystery has been solved. My neighbor has a 2015 PA 14 so I went over to look the rudder / lines / handle. Everything looked exactly as mine except for the handle. It appears that my dealer did not give me a PA handle. The handle he provided was smaller and only had one slot ( - ) for the retaining pin to nest in. The PA's handle has two slots ( + ) which allows for specific placement. So I tried his handle and bingo everything fits as designed.

Dr. SteelheadCatcher thank you for the assistance. I did learn a lot about how the steering system works.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

adesjard, I hope you let your Hobie Dealer know what happened.....a new PA should have come with the correct handle on the L/H side.
Enjoy your new ride!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yes he is aware of the issue.

Thanks again

Adesjard