Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I made my own $100 motor, that mounts through the mirage drive (see my other posts on it).
Upside: 1/10 of the price (if you throw in ~$150-ish 40AH 12V LIFEPO4 battery). Ez to service on the water to remove weeds, change the prop ($8 on amazon) etc. Can go in reverse (comes handy rather frequently). Can not see the motor from outside. Yes, w motor installed, you cant use the Mirage, but I like the clean, unobstructed deck. Still carry the Mirage for JIC .

A friend of mine owns the 403. A lapse in concentration while trolling and you get line wrapped around the prop, that cant be serviced on the water. Had to help him out twice, dunno how many other times he lost use of the motor when I wasnt around. He sent it for service for some errors once. Now he's getting E30 - another multi-week service trip. No reverse possible. Motor is plainly visible from outside.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh jeez, wish you guys wouldn't have told me about the usb port update n relentless line entanglement. Yet just like M18s, you either get er done right or go home empty handed n then some. :lol: :mrgreen: Many thanks for the advise guys, hope I too praise the great Torqeedo403 or it'll end up empty handed as well.lol :cry:

I spent much time researching these outfits n they All have very good points. Footprint was my biggest issue n believe me, I am one cheap sob at times unless it comes to fishing then its open wallet,,,Grin Been reading about a few turtling these pa 14s, is that a common occurrence on these rides? I got the hbar standups to help with ole dogagers, yet maybe I will need outriggers now? :oops:
Guess nothin is idiot proof, but rather stay dry n high than wet n cold. Come to think about it, there was allot of things they didn't tell on night jumps too.lol. Lawn darts to wet hobie dogs. Life is good,,,

Sorry if I spoke to soon about supplier's stock items being fresh off the press. Guess they are at that, but must be a reason they went to added usb port? Any thoughts on that?
Just my luck, probably to store all the error codes that may be coming.lol If so, they WILL be hearing from meeeeee. An the rest of the story will be found on the bottom of the bay. :lol: :mrgreen: Waaaaaaaaa, please Lord, not my 403, I'll throw back all those whom I had stretched to keep n eat.
Just please bless my 403 n give me relentless good times n lots of fish, n more fish. Maybe even a few 1k bucks to spend too. God Bless my 403 n be really happy hugging my 403.

Gotta run, wife may see wish,,, Ty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

r11 wrote:
I made my own $100 motor, that mounts through the mirage drive (see my other posts on it).
Upside: 1/10 of the price (if you throw in ~$150-ish 40AH 12V LIFEPO4 battery). Ez to service on the water to remove weeds, change the prop ($8 on amazon) etc. Can go in reverse (comes handy rather frequently). Can not see the motor from outside. Yes, w motor installed, you cant use the Mirage, but I like the clean, unobstructed deck. Still carry the Mirage for JIC .

A friend of mine owns the 403. A lapse in concentration while trolling and you get line wrapped around the prop, that cant be serviced on the water. Had to help him out twice, dunno how many other times he lost use of the motor when I wasnt around. He sent it for service for some errors once. Now he's getting E30 - another multi-week service trip. No reverse possible. Motor is plainly visible from outside.

.......... Just don't hit an oyster bar with that $100 motor or you will be way out of luck ........ Probably break the mirage drive brackets so you can't use anything but a paddle ...... That is if you don't make a whole in the well. You also can't use the mirage drive when you are running. Just don't fall out or turtle or you will be stuck in the middle waving bye to your yak ......... And you will have a heck of a time changing out the engine for the mirage drive if you get low on battery or you need more power because of wind and waves .... Especially if you store the mirage drive or engine under deck. Also, that setup uses a lot of battery. While I love those Lipos you got on eBay, they are rated for a max of 30 amp sustained draw and I believe they are 30 amp batteries do you have limited distance and you have to use a 30 lb thrust or less.

Oh and the 403 does have a reverse.

I really like your engineering ideas most of the times ......... I bought 5 batteries because of your posts on other sites and I have been using a bunch of engine setups before I tried then bought a Torqeedo ...........
Torqeedos are expensive but they bring a lot of value to your experience ........... It's like comparing a Lamborgini to a Volkswagen. I am not downing the watersnake setup at all ........ I'm just pointing out what I have found. It's whatever you want and can afford. I've used electric engine only boats for over 30 years and a bunch of setups on the PA ....... Once I tried the Torqeedo, I never looked back. It's worth every penny to me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I routinely get 50Mpg+ in my Passat, can u get that with yer Lambo ?

Aint no oyster bars here :)

Any trolling motor should have a kill switch, a $5 Amazon purchase.

About reverse - yes it does have ability to turn in reverse, but you cant use it on the water due to the way the motor is mounted, it will simply kick the motor out of the water.

Sell me a batt from the ones you purchased ? I only have 2 of my own :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

r11 wrote:
I routinely get 50Mpg+ in my Passat, can u get that with yer Lambo ?

Aint no oyster bars here :)

Any trolling motor should have a kill switch, a $5 Amazon purchase.

About reverse - yes it does have ability to turn in reverse, but you cant use it on the water due to the way the motor is mounted, it will simply kick the motor out of the water.

Sell me a batt from the ones you purchased ? I only have 2 of my own :)

Yep ........ Well over 50 mpg ........ It also has a gps and computer built in that will tell you how much time you have left at that speed. It's also waterproof and has a motor boat type controller that can be mounted anyplace making it very convenient.

Yes but the Torqeedo is built in and it also has a switch built in that turns off the motor if you turtle and the kill switch is still connected. Many people don't connect the kill switch to them because it gets in the way.

Your guy doesn't have it installed properly ........ Should have a cord to allow you to tie tie down and release it for reverse.

You still have to have something align the prop to take the engine out of the well in over a ft of water which is a pia in the best of conditions .......... Not fun in waves and current. I just pull a string while I'm moving with the Torqeedo.

You may not have oyster bars but I have had the bad luck of hitting stuff I couldn't see.

Sorry ........ I jumped on this deal when you showed everyone and I am grateful but I'm keeping mine. I think the guy wanted $200 with the charger that I had to adapt with your instructions.

Anyway ........ You have a good set up ........ I ve tried it and it works fine .......... But I'll stick with my Torqeedo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

R11,
I installed a rear TM 30 lb trust minnkota in my PA14 with a very heavy lead battery. I think 60 lbs. I really hate the weight of the battery that's why I started looking at this Torqeedo.
But if I can improve my existing setup, I might just stay with it. Can you pls provide me with your source of lithium used battery that will work with my current TM. Do I need a new charger for lithium battery? Is my existing lead charger ok for lithium. As much as possible I like to use cheap setup for TM. Having an expensive TM might affect my fishing concentration. It so expensive that I might always think about its not getting damage in shallow water and from my fishing lines when trolling.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had some in-depth posts on LiFePo4 batteries @ stripersonline and may be even here.
Superior to lead in so many way it is not even funny.

Look up "60AH LIFEPO4" on ebay. Only $300 for new, 9 lb (!), including built-in BMS & charger.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

r11 wrote:
I had some in-depth posts on LiFePo4 batteries @ stripersonline and may be even here.
Superior to lead in so many way it is not even funny.

Look up "60AH LIFEPO4" on ebay. Only $300 for new, 9 lb (!), including built-in BMS & charger.

They are really nice .......... But you do have to rewire the charger connector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok, got my 403 in shop. After debating a few ideas I think am ready to install today. 1st thing, I used their cheap aluminum expanding bolts n ended up taking them out. Thank God they are aluminum I guess? On my way to ace to get better anchoring hardware. They might work for some, yet I am a perfectionist n half mast fubar doesn't work well for myself. Main problem being the shoulder on bolts are to deep to fully tighten to Hobies hull IMHO.
Nothing worst than having not having a rock solid mounting. Also adding some additional rubber absorbing mounts. Overkill perhaps, but will definitely help with any operatives transmission echos while running wot. Having stated that, just had to take 2 nitros. Better make ready for them too,lol. :cry: :lol: Guess my 5 stents don't do much but buy one a few more days on this messed up society we unfortunately have today. Fishing is the best cure,,, :D

I'll shoot some pictures tonight hopefully. Be aware also, torqeedo doesn't add any hardware to mount controller either. Velco tape would work ok, but I am mounting it solid by right seat. Too many years with my Jetcraft controls perhaps. Wish my shop was setup 100%, this winters project. Fishing rules today.

Is that usb port to run other logistics items? I best get,,, Ty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Tip to those who wants higher battery capacity at a fair price.

The Torqeedo 403 battery is 29.6v and I think it is working basis the same 3.7v samsung lithium cells they use in the 26-104, but not 100% sure, as I cannot find the details anywhere...
29.6v / 3.7 = 8 cells

I bought a 4 cell (Samsung 3.7v) 30Ah Lithium battery pack to run my fishfinder and electronics on my kayak as well as running a powerdive diving unit when boating. I havent used it yet, but the quality looks great, it only dropped 0.2v since I fully charged it 4 weeks ago and paid 200 usd incl. a smart charger, build in BMS and plug.

So for a Torqeedo 403, this seller can make a 8 cell 29.6v 30Ah battery pack for around 400 usd.
888Wh in total and 4.6kg and a good chance that the percentage will still work on your display, as I believe it is the same battery configuration / cell type as Torqeedo is using in their batteries.

This is a 12v40Ah package from the same seller (but based on 3 cells)
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 00923.html

The small blue battery is the 14.8v30Ah pack I bought. (The other 2 packs are 25,9v80Ah which will power a Torqeedo Cruise)

NB. Seller is shipping by airfreight and in my case it took 5 days to safety clear the batteries (maybe due to the bigger ones are harder to inspect?) but as soon as they were cleared they arrived on day 3.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi

Got a change of mind with Torqeedo after winning some money in Las Vegas hehe..

Now thinking how to best install this mounting ball..
Just wanted to know how you installed the mounting ball. Did you guys use the expansion bolt? I can't find a install video on PA 14. I don't know if I have to find someone with longer arm or just use the expansion bolt. I really wish I can use the screws and nuts but I have short hands. Has there been anyone successful in using this screws and nuts?

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looks like the install will be a lot easier if the mounting ball can be installed closer to the rear hatch. Torqeedo needs to provide a longer pipe for pro angler owners. I don't really like to use the expansion bolt. I'll look for same size pipe tomorrow so I can have a longer pipe and be able to install the mounting ball closer to the hatch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got a couple more inches of reach putting in my MK by taking out the hatch and the mounting ring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tombsy,

were you able to install the Mounting ball using the screws and nuts?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mine is a Minn Kota sorry but the ones I couldn't reach I used the rubber expanding well nuts. They are plenty strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk