Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I read something in another post that reminded me of something I wanted to ask. When peddling my 2016 PA14, especially hard peddling, the seat tends to creak/click very loudly. I cannot figure exactly where it is coming from, but it almost seams like it is coming from the front left seat leg insert that is screwed into the deck of the kayak.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, how did you resolve? I am not a huge guy - anymore - right at 6'1" 200lb so I don't think weight is the issue.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are sure the "clicking" is not from the Mirage Drive, then:

I added a layer of Gorilla tape the both front plastic feet on the seat....trim the edges so it still fits into the plastic base.

In addition, maybe the seat is rocking on the back horizontal bottom frame tube and the hull....try a length of indoor/outdoor carpet as a cushion between the tube and hull..

Other seat noises are the mesh "squeaking" as you pedal......I sprayed, very liberally, Ace pure silicone lubricant on all the mesh surfaces......let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it down with a cotton t-shirt. This works for about one year and then reapply when the squeaks return.

You are correct...weight is not the issue. I am 5' 11" and 170 pounds in my 2013 PA-14.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is clicking in the mirage drive, but this is completely different. I like the idea of trying the gorilla tape on the feet, and probably the tube where it sits on the riser. Something I have not tried, but just came to me after reading your post, was to peddle in the low position and see if I still hear the clicking. I don't think I have been in the low position since my first week of owning the PA.

It is just an annoyance at this point. My fear is that the sound is caused by stress between the seat and the base connected to the deck. I just don't want to be causing damage to the base/deck connection. On my last kayak, the lawn chair style seat sat directly in a grove on the kayak deck, and after about a year of use, cracked the kayak deck. They replaced the kayak without question - as it was apparently a known issue/flaw - but it has made me a little sensitive to strange noises like this, and the potential for damage.

What is that fraze... And ounce of prevention...

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STL,

The creaking in the seat is the frame on the rear risers. If you carefully twist and pull the 2 foam pads on the bottom frame of the seat, you can work them outward where they will rest on those rear seat risers. That usually cures any creaking in that area. A little lubrication spray on the front feet ensures no creaking there. Sometimes the cord that holds the bottom of the seat can get dry and the seat material it rubs against. I spray a little lubricant on the cord if needed. Quiet as a mouse.

Depending on the boat and the fit, the Mirage drive does rock slightly when clicked in. If you just hold both pedals in your hand, you will find you can rock the assembly slightly. You're hearing it knock on those tabs at the bottom of the well when it rocks as you pedal. I cut a little SeaDek scrap (foam or rubber pad material will work) into half oval tabs and secure them on those small tabs. Takes care of the rocking and eliminates the knocking you hear with the Mirage drive.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve - as usual, a fountain of useful information! I did not really care about the knocking on the mirage drive...but might as well try to address that as well...quite as a church mouse is what I want. I am ordering a SeaDek seat pad for my cooler, might see if they can send me some samples or scraps as well. I have some time to tinker with the boat on Thursday evening, and will be able to test on Saturday and over the long weekend.

Again, thanks everyone.