Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder Line Repair
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 9:18 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any photos, advice and/or tips for how to properly thread the line through the adjustable screw in the handle of a 2011 PA14?
I replaced the line last year, popped it again yesterday (also popped a very nice largemouth!). I believe this time it was users/assembler error as I struggled constantly to get the proper tension on the line so the rudder would move freely in both directions. Best I could get was one side or the other.
Any advice on how to properly rig this and get the tension correct and the proper threading and number of wraps around that set screw would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Rudder Line Repair
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will jump in here with a possible suggestion on the steering handle line attachment.
Normally the line tension/adjustment is made at the rudder drum....under the cover above the rudder.
At the rudder handle, if you wrap two turns under the head of the screw before tightening it down, that should hold the spectra line under normal use.

Referring to page 5 of your owners manual.....see attached for reference......http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_asse ... manual.pdf
the rudder centering and line tightening is made back here....make sure the rudder handle is in the center position when tightening the lines and of course the rudder is centered too......and again, 2 wraps of the spectra lined under the head of the screw is sufficient before tightening the screw.

The steering control, handle/line attachment on my 2013 PA-14 is different on the tiller/handle end, but the aft end (rudder drum) is the same as your 2011 PA.....and is located above the rudder for tuning and adjusting. Remove the 4 screws attaching the black square cover above the rudder to access the drum assembly.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, Doc! That's helpful, but not precisely the question I'm trying to resolve.

The line snapped at the point where it threads through the adjustment screw inside the housing. It's likely I had too much tension on the line (so turning fully to the right was difficult/impossible and finally snapped). I tried adjusting at the rear, as you suggested, but could never quite get it right. So I'll be trying it all again; I've order new Spectra line. One thing I don't think I got right last time was wrapping the line around that screw inside the steering handle assembly, and I think that's why it failed where it did. Naturally, the Manual doesn't show any pictures of that, just the parts above the rudder.

What is the proper way to run the line through one hole, around that set screw, and back out the other hole? Does it matter if the line comes up through the bottom vs down through the top of the screw head? Should I wrap it around the screw once or twice or not at all? Does it matter which way it's wrapped? Normally, when I disassemble things I take pix so I know what they're supposed to look like when I re-assemble. But the line snapped at the same place last time, too, so I was never able to see what it looked like when it was done correctly. Ideally, I'll be re-creating that factory-installed threading/wrapping.

Appreciate any advice/input anyone can provide!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Suggest contacting Hobie directly....Matt Miller has always been very helpful and I would guess Hobie has a internal drawing/sketch they can send you on the correct line routing, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:07 am 
Site Admin

Check the support pages for your boat model. I am in China since May 19 and unable to read thru forums.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)