Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shorten Transducer Cable
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone ever shortened the cable from the depth finder to the transducer? I know I could just roll it all up but it seems a lot easier and neater to cut the access and splice it back together, just not sure if this would cause problems.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have always heard it is not a good idea to shorten the cable as it has a data transfer rate and can cause bad readings, true or myth, i don't know but it does make sense. I have cut and spliced a few with no issues as long as the splice is shielded but would avoid shortening it.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have read a lot on this, and have not been able to find any true technical reason not to be able to shorten it. There is a magic number of no less than 7' that people keep bandying about, but I have not heard a single reason as to why. The best I have come up with is that Lowrance and the other transducer manufacturers don't want you to screw up your transducer readings with a bad splice job.

Here is a good video to watch... https://youtu.be/tuNCYPMdT28

I wanted to do this for mounting an HDI transducer or a RAM transducer arm. But with the Hobie PA that need went away... Until recently... I am looking at replacing my Elite-4 Chirp with a 7 Ti. The HDI transducer is compatible with the 7 Ti and I would leave it in the Lowrance ready mount, but have the Total Scan Transducer mounted on a RAM transducer arm. If I wanted to use the total scan, I would hang the arm off the boat and plug it into the 7 Ti, otherwise I would use the HDI. Kind of he best of both worlds.

Anyway the perfectionist in me would love to make the Total Scan transducer cable shorter and avoid wrapping the extra around the RAM transducer arm. I just don't know that I want to chance screwing up a $300 transducer! Also I hate splicing wires. I am a network engineer, hardly an expert on cabling though i have done my share. The rule of thumb was to always avoid splices if possible - splices were temporary fixes until permanent repairs or replacement could be completed. I would be much more apt to re-terminate the cable on a new plug/locking collar, than to splice the cable back together. I just have not found a place to buy the locking collar...Lowrance does not seem to sell them... Anyone know where to buy the ends? They might just be an industry standard of something else out there...but that is not my industry!

(Just read in another post that BerleyPro is coming out with a Total Scan transducer adapter for the Hobie Lowrance ready system. I don't know if this is real or vapor ware, but it would make my decision to pull the trigger on the 7 Ti a whole lot easier.)

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am switching to the Dragonfly, I think I will call them tomorrow even though I am pretty sure I know what their answer will be.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just ordered yesterday, one of those Elite-4 CHIRP Fishfinder/Chartplotter, 50/200kHz 45/800kHz units from West Marine. They have a big sale going on through today and close out prices on this unit. Hopefully I get it for $229. I need the 50/200khz transducer here for salt water. These transducers go for $185 up, so basically I'm getting the head unit for chump change. Was going to get a new Hook-5 but couldn't pass up this offer. Bought the 2 year extended warranty, let's see how far it goes, I can guarantee it will fail before it's up.
Also I plan to do a better job of protecting the unit using one of these Taylor maid instrument covers. The constant salt water spray on the TI can be brutal. Plan on doing my own charting with insight genesis, at first free but as I gather enough data logs I will pay (annual membership) to create a better chart. Meanwhile keep using my tablet for Navionics boat app, for uncharted waters. I refuse to pay for their limiting expensive micro sd card.

Here you can see a variety of sizes. http://www.lagunamarine.com/dock/835503 ... ument.html

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:21 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I also have same FF. Would be nice if you can post the right taylor cover size/model to buy.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will do Nap. But I won't be able to see it in person till the end of June, when I'm back in the US. I bought two different sizes, the only ones I could find. I don't think they make them anymore and I couldn't find anyone else who makes them.

I bought the 8X8X4 & the 7X10X6 . When I bought them I thought I was going to buy a Hook-5 this summer, but then that great deal came along on the 4, so I'm hoping I get it. Been asking around and looking for something like this for years.

I see the Chirp 4 is about 4X7X3 but I use a Railblaza platform to mount my unit to (which tilts and turns), so I need 4 inches deep and about another 1 to 3 inches of height. So that puts my ideal size at 4X8(10?)X4. I don't think your going to need a tight fit, just so that elastic bottom can hold it on. You want it to drab snug over those back connectors. I think both of my covers will work. The 8X8X4 might be a little stretch on the Height and depth. But the 7X10X6 should work perfect. I'm hoping the see thru cover is clear enough to view the screen well in all conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I didn't get the Elite-4 Chirp unit on sale at West Marine. What a waste of time, don't ever order online with these guys. Terrible service.
Anyways, I'm back on for a Hook-5 later this summer.