Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seadek sale
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I placed an order to Seadek today and learned that they are having a 50% off sale on existing stock kayak kits including many Hobie models. Other than being a new customer, I have no connection with Seadek.

http://www.seadek.com/c-103-sale.aspx

Post subject: Re: Seadek sale
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are having a great sale to move some ready made kits. I did let them know this morning to adjust the listing for the 2012 PA14 kit to read a 2013. They don't have a ready made kit for the 2009 through 2012 models, but they have the specifications to make one. The rear cargo piece will fit any PA14 up through 2014. The 2015 and newer models have that hole right over the skeg. SeaDek does make a rear cargo piece that has that allowance.

Great chance to get SeaDek on your ride at a great price! :mrgreen:

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What is the advantage of putting seadek in a kayak? I can understand why to put in on a boat where one is standing up and walking around a lot. But the benefits seem to be less present on a kayak. Noise reduction maybe?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yak_pilot wrote:
What is the advantage of putting seadek in a kayak? I can understand why to put in on a boat where one is standing up and walking around a lot. But the benefits seem to be less present on a kayak. Noise reduction maybe?

Noise reduction is one reason. It is also a lot cooler on bare feet and helps to provide a better non-slip surface (even when wet).

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wish my 2016 PA was included, I would pull the trigger immediately. I just had them send me a few samples, and I am ordering a customer cooler pad. I did not realize there was a difference in the deck or tank well between the 2014 and 2016, but I guess it is to be expected.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
Wish my 2016 PA was included, I would pull the trigger immediately. I just had them send me a few samples, and I am ordering a customer cooler pad. I did not realize there was a difference in the deck or tank well between the 2014 and 2016, but I guess it is to be expected.

STL,

The only difference for a 2015 or 2016 PA14 is the rear cargo piece. When the Skeg got added, the scupper hole in the middle in front of the rear hatch was added. I've seen a few folks adjust the inside pieces slightly on the older rear cargo area piece or trim the edge slightly. SeaDek does have the template for the 2015-2016 rear area on the PA14. I know because they used my template. You can always get the front area only and then add the rear area based on the newer rear section not on sale. It is a good deal price wise.

I've had people asking me if the kits offered will fit their year. Except for the aforementioned skeg scupper, the decking area on the 2013 through the 2016 is the same.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keep in mind that if you order the kit with the one piece front section (my design), you need to leave the factory black foot pads installed and install the SeaDek over those pads on the PA14. This applies to the 2013 - 2016 models if you're getting the single piece front.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just ordered the full kit for 126$ for my 2016 pa 14. Exactly how much do i have to butcher the rear pad to make it fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I got the SeaDek so I don't have to wear knee pads all day. I have a right knee replacement and a left hip replacement and can only kneel on my right knee. It really hurts to kneel on a hard surface so I got the full front deck so I can kneel anywhere I need to, 6mm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

No more for PA 2015. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve - excellent information - as usual.

I think that is what I will do, order the front section on sale and just buy a new version of the tank/cargo well. Now I just have to pick a color or Camo pattern. I have not seen many Olive PA's with anything but the Camo color. I am kind of drawn to going with white, but I imagine that would be a real nightmare to keep clean. I want something that will not be so freaking hot.

Anyone have pictures or suggestions of what looks good on the olive PA?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

STLKayak wrote:
Steve - excellent information - as usual.

I think that is what I will do, order the front section on sale and just buy a new version of the tank/cargo well. Now I just have to pick a color or Camo pattern. I have not seen many Olive PA's with anything but the Camo color. I am kind of drawn to going with white, but I imagine that would be a real nightmare to keep clean. I want something that will not be so freaking hot.

Anyone have pictures or suggestions of what looks good on the olive PA?

STL,

I would bet the Mocha with black trim would look great on an olive PA, but I think the colors are limited on the pre-cut kits. Custom kits would be wide open on colors, but you would not get the current savings.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nap wrote:
No more for PA 2015. :oops:

Nap,

The 2013 - 2014 kits will fit the 2015. The only exception is that if you get the rear cargo deck piece, it will not have a small cutout for the skeg scupper hole in the middle. It would not take much to trim the edge on that middle area to conform around that scupper. It's a very small adjustment. Since these kits are single patterns/colors you would not have to worry about removing a trim color edge.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

firsttimer wrote:
Just ordered the full kit for 126$ for my 2016 pa 14. Exactly how much do i have to butcher the rear pad to make it fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firsttimer,

When you get the kit, lay the rear cargo piece on the rear dead (keep the backing on). There is a little allowance in that area as the padding does not go right to the very edge of the troughs on the rear deck. You might be able to just move the 2 middle areas slighly away from the skeg scupper hole and still look fine. Keep in mind these pre-cut kits are single color/pattern. No edge trim color. So all you really have to remove is that beveled edge just around that skeg scupper hole. You really don't have to remove anything, but if you want it to look like the piece was made to allow for that new middle scupper, remove/cut the edge by those scuppers so that it curves around the scupper the way you want it.

If you look at the pictures I posted in the Marinemat versus SeaDek posting, both rear mats are shown. So you can see what the difference is. When I took the 2015 rear mat picture, I didn't have the padding even on one of the troughs. It was easily re-aligned. Hope this helps.

Steve

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:37 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Again I called seadek just now and according to Paige there's no more 2015.