Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PA14 Yeti Cooler
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

oh no!!!! I hear if you turn it off and put it in a bag off rice…The rice will attract asians that will come and fix it :lol: JK I hope it still works for u though. I'm an apple guy myself. I even modded my 6 plus so the logo on the back lights up like a macbook

St. Clair Flatts
St. Clair River and Channels
3x Michigan Master Angler Awards

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

StickiestLizard wrote:
oh no!!!! I hear if you turn it off and put it in a bag off rice…The rice will attract asians that will come and fix it :lol: JK I hope it still works for u though. I'm an apple guy myself. I even modded my 6 plus so the logo on the back lights up like a macbook

Two days later it has dried out and is working fine. Got lucky that the top got submerged and not the bottom! I would have tried the rice trick, but I did not have any....carb free in my house. Anyway, my RTIC shows up on Monday.

Gonna wait in line next Friday and try to get a new 7 (trade the 6 in). Just haven't decided if I am going to get the small one or giant one that looks like your talking into a piece of toast.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I typically work from home, but tonight it is keeping me from getting out fishing, so I figured between jobs making the Internet work for my customers, I would make a video and update some posts. Here are a few photos of my 'tricked out' Coleman Steel Belted cooler and a link to a video I made on FB.

I installed YakAttack Gear Tracks on both side, to attach a Roto-Grip paddle holder and my RAM tube spline post mounts, YakAttack Hawg Trough mounts on the front, and a 9" H-Rail kit on the back. This actually works pretty well for me...the only downside being the cooler is BLACK....very very BLACK...and you could fry an egg on top after a few hours in the direct sunlight. I am thinking of getting Seadek to make a white pad for the top.

Also, my new RTIC SoftPak 30 is on back order. I did not realize it was back ordered until UPS showed up today and handed me a RTIC SS cup...but had no cooler on his truck. I grilled him and him looking thru the back of his truck for my cooler, then got online and saw it was back ordered. I felt like an ass! (Not for the first time, and I am sure not the last time either.)

Here are the photos and a link...

https://www.facebook.com/StLouisKayakFishing/videos/332276977105783/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My RTIC SoftPack 30 ($150) was delivered a couple of days ago. Just wanted to share some thoughts... comparable to the Yeti Hopper 30 ($349) or the Yeti Flip 20 ($300).

I almost never buy just based on price, and Yeti is pretty much the gold standard everyone bases their comparisons on. I think the Yeti products are great, they pretty much invented a whole market, but their is a lot of competition now... I personally think the Orion Coolers are nicer rotomolded coolers for around the same price as the Yeti. But there is not a lot of competition in the soft side cooler market. After doing the research - aka watching YouTube videos - I decided on the RTIC. My decision was based as much on design as it was on price. I just like the RTIC design better...especially at the great price. That being said, I took the plunge, sight unseen.

Anyway it goes, this is a very well made soft pack cooler. It is replacing my Walmart special Ozark Mountain soft pack cooler that holds ice for about 15 minutes and leaks like a sieve.

The first thing I noticed was that this cooler is built VERY well. l thought the material was going to be some type of canvas, and it might be, but it has a rubber coating on it that gives it a soft yet sturdy feel. If the coating lasts, and I expect it will, I wont worry about this thing getting grimy or dirty hanging out in the back of my SUV or kayak.

Also the foam insulation is VERY thick. Look at the insulation in the lid, it is about 2" thick! I also like the design with the opening all the way around the top versus the Yeti Hopper single opening. I think it will be much more convenient to use. I also expect that this thing will be very water tight.

The only negative I have come up with is that the zipper is not easy to open. But neither is that of the Yeti, and RTIC includes a small tube of lubricant to make it slide much easier.

Looks like the Ozark Mountain is going to be turned into a cat bed... actually, it already has been!

FYI: I cannot tell what color this cooler is, because in some light it looks olive green, in others grey. And yes, I can tell the inside is blue!

Here are some pictures of the cooler... it's pretty freaking nice...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

STLKayak wrote:
My RTIC SoftPack 30 ($150) was delivered a couple of days ago. Just wanted to share some thoughts... comparable to the Yeti Hopper 30 ($349) or the Yeti Flip 20 ($300).

I almost never buy just based on price, and Yeti is pretty much the gold standard everyone bases their comparisons on. I think the Yeti products are great, they pretty much invented a whole market, but their is a lot of competition now... I personally think the Orion Coolers are nicer rotomolded coolers for around the same price as the Yeti. But there is not a lot of competition in the soft side cooler market. After doing the research - aka watching YouTube videos - I decided on the RTIC. My decision was based as much on design as it was on price. I just like the RTIC design better...especially at the great price. That being said, I took the plunge, sight unseen.

Anyway it goes, this is a very well made soft pack cooler. It is replacing my Walmart special Ozark Mountain soft pack cooler that holds ice for about 15 minutes and leaks like a sieve.

The first thing I noticed was that this cooler is built VERY well. l thought the material was going to be some type of canvas, and it might be, but it has a rubber coating on it that gives it a soft yet sturdy feel. If the coating lasts, and I expect it will, I wont worry about this thing getting grimy or dirty hanging out in the back of my SUV or kayak.

Also the foam insulation is VERY thick. Look at the insulation in the lid, it is about 2" thick! I also like the design with the opening all the way around the top versus the Yeti Hopper single opening. I think it will be much more convenient to use. I also expect that this thing will be very water tight.

The only negative I have come up with is that the zipper is not easy to open. But neither is that of the Yeti, and RTIC includes a small tube of lubricant to make it slide much easier.

Looks like the Ozark Mountain is going to be turned into a cat bed... actually, it already has been!

FYI: I cannot tell what color this cooler is, because in some light it looks olive green, in others grey. And yes, I can tell the inside is blue!

Here are some pictures of the cooler... it's pretty freaking nice...

looks nice, i need to grab one. hopefully not a 6 month wait!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nhoj_yelbom wrote:
looks nice, i need to grab one. hopefully not a 6 month wait!

I did not realize that when I ordered it, it was out of stock. Saw that in an when they sent me the 'Order Shipped' email. RTIC said it was clear when I placed the online order as well, but I seemed to gloss over that. Happens when I order stuff at 3am when I should be sleeping.

Instead of 2 business days, it took 7. Nothing to lose more sleep over! :)