Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Just order 2017 PA14
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dtreen wrote:
I called the Indy Hobie dealer and they're still saying between Octt 15-20th.

Thanks for the update. Crossing my fingers for this weekend

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just picked mine up today so hang in there. They are on their way. I hope this URL works. Couldn't find a way to add a photo to this post.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14572136_10154556949767480_2913829801788387931_n.jpg?oh=2d07c60e24873f6a65040455aacc4f4d&oe=5868DFF3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nice!!! Have you slimed it yet. I plan on taking mine out on the way home. I'm actually taking next week off to install all of the stuff I bought for it and fishing as much as possible. My local dealer said they were expecting them any day.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joeroe wrote:
Nice!!! Have you slimed it yet. I plan on taking mine out on the way home. I'm actually taking next week off to install all of the stuff I bought for it and fishing as much as possible. My local dealer said they were expecting them any day.

Not yet. Just had surgery on my foot. Bad timing. I will be lucky if I get out one time before January. :(

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry to hear that. Isn't that how it seems to work out too often.

I finally picked mine up. Yaaaaay!!!!! Unfortunately I wasn't able to install my Boonedox landing gear. The spacers they provided won't work for the H rail and the bar is too short. I called and they are sending me everything I need for free. Looks like the spacer problem is popping up a lot on the 2017's. Great people to deal with considering they never claimed compatibility with a 2017 PA.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67153874@ ... 5234735235

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joeroe wrote:
Sorry to hear that. Isn't that how it seems to work out too often.

I finally picked mine up. Yaaaaay!!!!! Unfortunately I wasn't able to install my Boonedox landing gear. The spacers they provided won't work for the H rail and the bar is too short. I called and they are sending me everything I need for free. Looks like the spacer problem is popping up a lot on the 2017's. Great people to deal with considering they never claimed compatibility with a 2017 PA.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67153874@ ... 5234735235

Can you elaborate on the boonedox issue. Due to my condition I have not tried to install mine but it sounds like I will have the same issue.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There are a few pictures in the link I posted of what the h rail looks like with the landing gear under it. I wanted to mount mine close to the back of the seat so I wouldn't lose any storage space in the rear so that means mounting it under the h rail is necessary. I bought the Hobie pa kit which includes a longer bar and some thin spacers to shim the h rail up. The shim is not tall enough to fit the landing gear under it and the bar is around 4" short. There is no way to lock the bar into both of the ends so they are sending me a 29" bar and 1/2" spacers. There are 2 pictures. One with the provided shim and one without. you will have to scroll down to see the second pic. There are other pics between the 2.

I just ran into another issue with my anchor trolley tonight. Trying to figure out where to mount the locking cleat. I guess they changed the style of mounting board in 2015 or 2016. The board doesn't hang over where I need it to so drilling into the boat may be necessary. I may just end up mounting a cleat like I have on my coosa or mounting the provided one on a universal mount.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just checked the pics I posted to make sure the link worked and noticed than the h rail appears to be clocked to where one of the peaks on the rail is making contact. I wonder if rotating it would make a difference spacer wise. Going to investigate that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joeroe wrote:
I just ran into another issue with my anchor trolley tonight. Trying to figure out where to mount the locking cleat. I guess they changed the style of mounting board in 2015 or 2016. The board doesn't hang over where I need it to so drilling into the boat may be necessary. I may just end up mounting a cleat like I have on my coosa or mounting the provided one on a universal mount.

I used the pulley's from the Hobie anchor trolley kit, but bought the YakAttack LeverLoc and Pad-Hooks instead of using the Hobie buttons for line management and locking. It ended up working very well, and creates a VERY clean install. You have it in the water this weekend? I did pretty good on Saturday with 9 fish, seven were over 17" and one was over 19". Went to Pyramid early this morning, mainly to throw top water using a new rod/real combo. SLOW to say the least. Very windy day, would have been a nightmare to paddle today. Did not even cross my mind with my PA. Your going to love it. Nice Jeep BTW, though I don't envy you Jeep toping that thing!

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

STLKayak wrote:
Joeroe wrote:

I used the pulley's from the Hobie anchor trolley kit, but bought the YakAttack LeverLoc and Pad-Hooks instead of using the Hobie buttons for line management and locking. It ended up working very well, and creates a VERY clean install. You have it in the water this weekend? I did pretty good on Saturday with 9 fish, seven were over 17" and one was over 19". Went to Pyramid early this morning, mainly to throw top water using a new rod/real combo. SLOW to say the least. Very windy day, would have been a nightmare to paddle today. Did not even cross my mind with my PA. Your going to love it. Nice Jeep BTW, though I don't envy you Jeep toping that thing!

Thanks for the suggestion. I took it out Sunday and did alright with a Ned rig. Love the boat though. I actually did a search and found a post of yours and decided to go with the lever lock. I'm off this week so I'm hoping to find one local so I can use it this week. Hoping tri state or alpine shop will have them.

Love your Orion cooler. It would look awesome on my GI Jackson Coosa HD. Are those rhino saddles on your trailer? The mako saddles and hully rollers are not a good setup for the PA. I had to do a little off-roading to get to my put in and the boat shifted.

Loading it on the jeep isn't too bad with the rhino t loader right now but I'm going to be installing 35's on it soon which won't help things. Early 2017 I plan on buying a Yakima rack and roll trailer so that should help simplify loading and unloading. I would rather go with a setup like yours but I need a trailer that I can store vertical in the garage.

Love your setup by the way. Very nice. Let me know if you want to get together and go fishing some time. We can swap mirage drives for the day to see if you like the 180. This is my first Hobie so I can't say how it compares to the old drive but according to my Raymarine I got it up to 6mph. Never got the Coosa going that fast.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joeroe wrote:
There are a few pictures in the link I posted of what the h rail looks like with the landing gear under it. I wanted to mount mine close to the back of the seat so I wouldn't lose any storage space in the rear so that means mounting it under the h rail is necessary. I bought the Hobie pa kit which includes a longer bar and some thin spacers to shim the h rail up. The shim is not tall enough to fit the landing gear under it and the bar is around 4" short. There is no way to lock the bar into both of the ends so they are sending me a 29" bar and 1/2" spacers. There are 2 pictures. One with the provided shim and one without. you will have to scroll down to see the second pic. There are other pics between the 2.

I am glad you posted about your issue with the bar width on the Boonedox Landing gear. I have the same issue. I contacted Them and they are having some 29" bars made and will send one to me as soon as they can. Had I not read your post I would not have known about the problem for another month or so due to my recent surgery. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

No problem. Did you ask them to send some 1/2" spacers. You may need them also.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joe - Cabelas actually stocks the LeverLoc, but as the full kit. I actually bought the Hobie Anchor trolley kit (well two of them) and bought a pair of the LeverLocs and the PadHooks sperately from either ACK or YakAttack directly...don't remember which. I also bought some lower stretch 550 cord to use instead of the line that comes with the Hobie Trolley. All in all, it took about 10 minutes to install and I only had two drill four small holes.

The Orion Cooler was Awsome, but I ended up sending it back. It looked great with my Gi Jackson Cuda, but I bought it for my Hobie, and it just did not match worth a (censored). I know that is goofy, but when your spending $450 on a cooler, you want it to be perfect.

The Saddles are from Rhino Rack, they are the Nautical 580 side loading model. I was able to modify them to attach to the UniStrut on my trailer, and they lend great side support. The Yakima is an awsome trailer, but I already had this one built to haul my Cuda, and was having issues justifying spending even more money! (and I am pretty good about justifying anything!)

Next up is the Power Pole Micro. I am going to pull the trigger on that in the next few days. I want to have it installed before a trip I have planned for LotO Friday after next. Plus the blue tooth on my Lowrance Elite 7 TI will control the power pole...seems like a waste not use that feature...hence the justification.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005695487937

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ACK only sells the kit and Cabelas doesn't have any in stock according to their site. I plan on calling cabelas tomorrow and if they don't have one in stock I'm just going to order one directly from yakattack.

I agree when it comes to aesthetics and Hobie's power pole mounting kit bugs me. I wish there were some color options. Black would have been a better choice IMO so I think I will plastidip it black if I end up going that route. The Orion coolers weren't out yet when I bought the Coosa so I just went with a Pelican. Doesn't match the boat and isn't as cool but it is much more affordable and holds ice as good as a Yeti.

I saw some pictures of your trailer when I was reading about different trailer setups for the PA. I would rather have your setup than the Yakima but a lack of space won't let me go that route.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Joeroe wrote:
ACK only sells the kit and Cabelas doesn't have any in stock according to their site. I plan on calling cabelas tomorrow and if they don't have one in stock I'm just going to order one directly from yakattack.

I agree when it comes to aesthetics and Hobie's power pole mounting kit bugs me. I wish there were some color options. Black would have been a better choice IMO so I think I will plastidip it black if I end up going that route. The Orion coolers weren't out yet when I bought the Coosa so I just went with a Pelican. Doesn't match the boat and isn't as cool but it is much more affordable and holds ice as good as a Yeti.

I saw some pictures of your trailer when I was reading about different trailer setups for the PA. I would rather have your setup than the Yakima but a lack of space won't let me go that route.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

you could get some tan or olive vinyl paint, it soaks into vinyl and most plastics.
http://www.autozone.com/paint-and-body/ ... ckfit=true