Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Future PA14 Owner
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forum. I've been kayak fishing for a few years now and recently demoed the 2017 PA14 at a local dealer. Since that day I have been in love with it, so I will be buying my first Hobie in a few months.

Have the 2017s had any issues that I should be aware of? Also, which accessories would you recommend starting off with, other than the heavy duty cart?

Post subject: Re: Future PA14 Owner
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MCrewsZ71 wrote:
Hey ya'll, I'm new to the forum. I've been kayak fishing for a few years now and recently demoed the 2017 PA14 at a local dealer. Since that day I have been in love with it, so I will be buying my first Hobie in a few months.

Have the 2017s had any issues that I should be aware of? Also, which accessories would you recommend starting off with, other than the heavy duty cart?

skip the heavy duty cart and get a boonedox landing gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Congrats on your decision to join the PA family! Since you're not new to kayaking, the regular accessories like safety items and anchoring items still apply so no need to list those here. The best suggestion for you is to take the PA out a few times and get a feel for what you maight want to add where. The H-Rail system is awesome in that it allows you to re-position rod holders and other H-Rail mounted accessories as needed.

I would recommend getting the white rectangular storage bucket that fits in the front floor hatch. A lot more flexibility with that storage solution and it gives you a place to put a camera, phone or anything else you want secured in that compartment. Rod holders boil down to personal preference. There are ball mounts and the flat H-Rail mounting plates you can use to mount rod holders to. Will assume you have a crate, so the H-Crate or a Blackpak box is not a necessity to start with. I have 2 of those black Hobie rod tubes for each PA that insert in the rod holder openings behind the seat. They keep the rods higher off the water than putting them directly in the rear rod holders by themselves.

Fishfinders/GPS can be a subject all in itself. It really depends on what type of fishing you do and where you fish. Hobie does have an adapter kit if you go the Humminbird direction that works with most of the Humminbird transducers. The Lowrance units do not need the adapter kit.

Pick up a Mirage Drive leash kit or make something similar if you are fishing water with any depth. Always a good safety device so you don't accidently lose the drive if you have to pull it out on the water (i.e. fishing line tangled in fins).

Anchor trolleys are good to have. Up to you whether you want to put one on both sides. The Hobie kits are easy to install and work great!

I'm sure you can browse through the forums and find plenty of posts with pictures to give you ideas as well.

SeaDek Fishing Team
Unfair Lures Pro Staff
Ziptailz Ambassador

2015 Pro Angler 14 - Papaya
2018 Compass - Sea Grass

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

SRAces wrote:
Congrats on your decision to join the PA family! Since you're not new to kayaking, the regular accessories like safety items and anchoring items still apply so no need to list those here. The best suggestion for you is to take the PA out a few times and get a feel for what you maight want to add where. The H-Rail system is awesome in that it allows you to re-position rod holders and other H-Rail mounted accessories as needed.

I would recommend getting the white rectangular storage bucket that fits in the front floor hatch. A lot more flexibility with that storage solution and it gives you a place to put a camera, phone or anything else you want secured in that compartment. Rod holders boil down to personal preference. There are ball mounts and the flat H-Rail mounting plates you can use to mount rod holders to. Will assume you have a crate, so the H-Crate or a Blackpak box is not a necessity to start with. I have 2 of those black Hobie rod tubes for each PA that insert in the rod holder openings behind the seat. They keep the rods higher off the water than putting them directly in the rear rod holders by themselves.

Fishfinders/GPS can be a subject all in itself. It really depends on what type of fishing you do and where you fish. Hobie does have an adapter kit if you go the Humminbird direction that works with most of the Humminbird transducers. The Lowrance units do not need the adapter kit.

Pick up a Mirage Drive leash kit or make something similar if you are fishing water with any depth. Always a good safety device so you don't accidently lose the drive if you have to pull it out on the water (i.e. fishing line tangled in fins).

Anchor trolleys are good to have. Up to you whether you want to put one on both sides. The Hobie kits are easy to install and work great!

I'm sure you can browse through the forums and find plenty of posts with pictures to give you ideas as well.

Thanks for the insight, I definitely have some gear to transfer over. The drive leash will certainly be installed, couldn't imagine losing it!

I've never had any electronics ran on any of my previous yaks so that will be a learning experience. From the looks of it Hobie has an accessory for everything though.

I'll have some time to browse everyone else's setups as I save up a little more cash!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Striper_Jacob wrote:
MCrewsZ71 wrote:

Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

MCrewsZ71 wrote:
Striper_Jacob wrote:
MCrewsZ71 wrote:

Is it worth it?

I only have experience with landing gear, but the hobie cart you have to remove everything from kayak and tilt it to side in order to slide the cart in the scupper holes. To me that's a hassle.

There's some good videos on youtube about the landing gear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Striper_Jacob wrote:
MCrewsZ71 wrote:
Striper_Jacob wrote:
MCrewsZ71 wrote:

Is it worth it?

I only have experience with landing gear, but the hobie cart you have to remove everything from kayak and tilt it to side in order to slide the cart in the scupper holes. To me that's a hassle.

There's some good videos on youtube about the landing gear.

I pulled it up on the Boonedox site and it looks decent, time would tell if they hold up to the weight of the PA though.