Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First of all, I LOVE my 2020 360 PA 14! The more I use it, the more I enjoy it. I have only one little issue that nags at me. My port side rudder handle does not rotate as far to the left as it does to the right. This makes doing port turns with the rudder a slow process compared to starboard turns. I compensate by using the 360 drive, but this is not the most efficient way to get back to the dock or across the lake especially when the wind is up.

I have played around with the rudder lines in the rudder compartment to see if I could fix the problem that way but the only solution in that scenario leaves the port side rudder handle pointing to the right instead of being lined up parallel with the center line of the kayak. This adjustment gives me equal deflection to port and starboard, but then neither direction is as responsive as I would like. It feels to me like the handle mechanism is hitting something when doing a full to port turn that keeps it from rotating far enough to the left to get the rudder where I want it to be. In the "standard" configuration where the handle is parallel to the center line I get a 60 deg. rudder deflection from center on a starboard turn and only a 40 degree deflection on a port turn. That just doesn't seem right.

I guess my question is "is this normal?". If it's not normal then what can I do to fix it?

Thanks,

Gary
(FYI, my nearest Hobie dealer is 150 miles away, so that ain't going to happen.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Must be a twisted or mis-routed line?

Check this diagram: https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=20521

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Matt, thanks for the reply. I had already found that diagram on a sticky in the forum and it is quite useful. I am wondering if the bell crank (not sure what you call it) on the port side rudder control was installed in such a way that it is hitting the hull before it should. Looking at the diagram it appears that the bell crank should be at right angles to the rudder control handle so that it would move about 90 degrees in either direction and perpendicular to the center line when the rudder handle is parallel to the center line. Is that correct or am I just chasing a ghost? I don't want to be trying to fix something that ain't broke. Do you have assembly instructions for the rudder control handle and bell crank that I could look at?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:44 pm 
Site Admin

Seems correct.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Gary,
Did you ever get this corrected? I have the same problem and have not been able to correct.

Appreciate it,
Bryan