Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Everyone I am a new member here and have just purchased a new PA12 and a Loadrite Trailer. I'm sure I will have a few questions so here are the first two.

1. Has anyone ever used the Malone Hobie-Style Cradle Adapter to mount their Hobie Cradles to the trailer cross bars?

https://maloneautoracks.com/Hobie-Style ... -of-6.html

2. I know Hobie recommends 67" between cradles but would 73" be too much of a variation? (Trailer bar spacing is pretty much fixed at 73")

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Yakfish01,

How did you Malone trailer project go? I haven't been active in this forum for a few months, but wanted to share my experiences with you. I hope they will still help. I put the Micro Sport trailer together, purchased the Hobie cradles, and have mounted them to the load bars, without the adapters. I don't recall them being available when I did the assembly a year ago. I did use a bunch of washers though. I've pulled my PA12 twenty plus times to the local harbor, which is about an hour each way. The second time I made the drive, one of the four bolts came loose, I retightened it and then used "Lock-tight", and have had no problems since. The Cradles don't fit quite right, because you can't get the needed 67" separation. I used several wetsuit type pads to get a good fit. I always unstrap the kayak when it's not being towed, but I leave it on the trailer/cradles for storage. But I also store it in the garage when it's not in use. I don't get the wheels wet, and watch my axle temperature closely, since I drive 55 to 60 mph. Bearing grease seems to be doing well, but it is checked routinely. I wash the kayak down each time I use it and have not seen any hull deformation.

Hope that helps, and if you have any additional questions, leave here in this thread, and I'll get back to you.

Mike