Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I have been out of action for 5 years! My 2013 PA was basically put in storage (lousy leaky storage but still).
I was able to pull it out this year. Wow! have things changed with the fishing kayaks, compass? Kick up fins? 360 drivers? The Compass?

Yes my PA weighs a ton and I trailer it. Yes it is old, yes, I still love fishing out of it.

2 questions I have:

1) 180 drive is nice but then I would want a 360 because it is actually useful for positioning but what I would really like is the kickup fins. I have no idea if a 2013 drive could be upgraded to any of these. Can it?

2) My Is there a market to purchase a used drive from that would have the kickup?

3) A new drive sounds ominously expensive, does anyone upgrade this way?

thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

podrick, just my 2 cents on the 360 drive.
I too own a 2013 PA-14 since new and think the GT drive it came with is robust and problem free.

The Mirage drive is a marvel of engineering and the advancements have evolved over the years. Each improvement has had its share of issues.

The kick up fins change seems to be reliable and a good choice/upgrade.

The new 360 drive has had its share of issues too and right now, not worth the expense and lost time on the water to keeping it working.
It seems to take 2 to 3 years for all the bugs to surface and then addressed/resolved.

I am sure that Hobie will resolve the reliability problems in the future, but in the mean time, I would stay with a known, reliable Mirage GT drive.