Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric motor for PA360
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a PA14 360 which I dearly love. I also have two fishing areas I want to access. However, these 73 year old legs, struggle quite a bit due to the distances. One is about 4 miles and the other is about 5 miles from launch. I have made the trips but exhausted in the end. Has anyone tried to install a small electric in the 360 drive slot. I have spent hours online looking and can find only applications for the 180 drives. It would be ideal for me to be able to use an electric ( like a watersnake or bixpy) to get from launch to point A or B and then switch out to the mirage drive then reinsert electric for returning. Looks like neither of these two motors will work in the 360 drive opening. I am mainly looking for something fairly simple and light to accomplish the task. Any ideas or solutions would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you look at the Island Hopper solutions specific to the 360 drive while you were googling?

https://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/variable-speed-kayak-motors-for-hobie-pro-angler-360.html

https://www.islandhopperoutboards.com/vortex-trolling-motor-for-hobie-pro-angler.html

I have no knowledge or experience with these products. The first one is 360 specific. The second one doesn't say 360 in the description but then does in the pdf document at the bottom. I would suggest calling or emailing them.

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Torqeedo rear mount all the way. No need to change out the mirage drive for thr engine which is cumbersome at best. No heavy battery taking up space and having to position to balance out the yak. Very easy to install and take off etc etc etc. oh ….. and I’m 71, overweight, diabetic etc. Best engine out there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would second the recommendation for a stern mounted motor. We used our tandem Oasis one season with the Evolve 2 mounted in the drive-well. The big drawbacks we experienced are as follows:

1. You can't peddle while using the motor (though one of still could in the tandem Oasis). This may not seem like a big deal but by peddling lightly while using the motor you can greatly extend battery range.

2. Being able to peddle also increases the safety factor if the motor or controls fail at an inopportune time, or you need extra speed to beat a storm or to fight into tide, current, wind and waves.

3. Bottom strikes at speed will likely do damage to the skeg, propellor, motor, mount, and possibly hull

4. If you do have a bottom strike, you will probably need to get out of the kayak to get off the shallows and back underway. Not great if the bottom is mucky and there is little or no visibility through the water.

5. Removing the motor quickly is not easy since you must get the propellor aligned with the drive-well so it does not get hung up on the hull.

6. You need a convenient place to securely store and easily access the Mirage drive or motor while not in use. And use tethers. Accidentally dropping either a Mirage drive or a motor to Davey Jones' Locker will be very expensive.

After one season we switched to the rudder mounted Evolve (not an option for your kayak) where it has remained now for 6 years. A stern mounted motor is the way to go.

Peter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I TOTALLY agree with the rear mount. Think of trying to exchange the engine for the mirage drive when there are waves, wind and tide. It would actually be dangerous and there would be no place to secure the engine taken out. Imagine this happens at the end of the day with low battery. If it is rear mounted, you don’t have that problem and you have the mirage drive installed all the time to give you a lot of additional power to get out of trouble. I have tried both ways and I REALLY don’t like the motor in the Mirage drive slot …….. I think it’s an accident waiting to happen.