Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: disablity
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We have a hobie mirage revolution.....14 feet long weighting about 65 lbs........due to a auto accident my lady will no longer be able to steer with her left arm.
and cannot lift more than 5 lbs. doctor says she can peddle but cannot paddle. trying to figure out how to make a system that will help insert and remove the peddles..
been wondering if a pulley system would be possible. Also I drive a toyota tundra and finding that I can not load by myself.....i have a roller on the back but can not lift
by myself. any suggestions on either of these two issues

Post subject: Re: disablity
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just bought a used jet ski trailer to use so that I can launch by myself. I put 2x6 boards across the bunks and carry the kayak on those, strapped down. I load the kayak so the rudder is in the rear and so are the scupper holes. I slide the yak back far enough (right side up) to put the cart through the scupper holes or put it in the water if you are close enough, attach the cart and slide it the rest of the way. Could you leave the drive in before launching off of the trailer? As far as steering, could you put some sort of rod, screwed into the top of the rudder lever that goes across her lap to her right arm with a knob on top. she could use her right arm by moving her hand left or right and the lever would move the rudder lever. Perhaps, use a wooden yardstick or round piece of delrin plastic. hopefully it wouldn't interfere with her knees and peddling. Just a couple ideas.