Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This past week, I was able to squeeze in a quick overnighter on an island in nearby Chickamauga Lake. No epic speed on the water (partially because I forgot to remove the cart, hah), but the wind was consistent, and there isn't a much better way to enjoy the sunset than sailing in a warm breeze. Left at 5pm after work, and was back working the next day at 2pm. I love having a flexible job. :)

Overall, I'm really impressed with the AI as a platform for multi-day trips. The cargo capacity is much higher than that of my sea kayak, and the tramps are a great addition for spreading out gear and relaxing. I'm not used to having so much stability and workspace, for lack of a better word.

Patten Island: http://www.google.com/maps/@35.1513718, ... a=!3m1!1e3

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fjmttIr40[/youtube]

Last edited by bicx on Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Great video, I just ordered a TI and I didn't even think about difficulty rowing with the trampolines. With my revolution I usually launch in shallow water so I row for a bit and then start using the mirage. I guess I could use the back seat (away from the trampolines) to row.

Did you fish?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

While it isn't easy to paddle with the trampolines, I would say that the trade-off is worth it. The tramps are awesome. If I had to paddle (like if my rudder pin snapped), I'd unclip the tramps so I could paddle a bit more easily. Usually, I'm not spending much time in water too shallow for the mirage drive and rudder, so a little awkward paddling is tolerable.

Honestly, I'm getting back into fishing after a couple years of not doing so. I got some good bites on this trip, but I didn't catch anything. Part of that is because I'm a bit out of practice and my 2-year-old brittle line kept inexplicably tangling. :) I was really looking forward to having bass or crappie instead of hot dogs for dinner.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That would have been pretty sweet, catch a crappie for dinner, eat and sleep out there.

I like how you showed stowing the tent. I was thinking of stowing a cooler for day trips (beer and food) I'll have to see how easily and what size cooler I can stow.

Are you wearing vibram 5 finger shoes? Their water shoes or just regular running version?

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I had my filet board, frying pan, and stick of butter all ready. Maybe next time!

I'd been backpacking recently, so I just grabbed my gear and tossed most of it into a 35L dry bag. I think I could have stowed most of it in the bow hatch, which is really spacious. However, I wanted to keep most of the weight in the back. I also left the center hatch completely empty, just because I could. Overall, I'm really impressed with the cargo capabilities. I'm guessing the TI would include a little more as well.

Yep, wearing Vibram FiveFinger shoes. Apparently Vibram just lost a class-action lawsuit due to baseless claims about how the shoes improve your running, but I don't run in them. I just have the multi-purpose KSO version. Basic minimal sole. I've really enjoyed them as water shoes.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice video bicx. Probably a lot of plastic angler kayaks in your area, but you have a real "freedom machine" there.

I'd hate to see your new toy get a parking lot rash, though.

If you can use a cheap yoga mat or two during setup, you'll be able to protect your hull and outriggers from long term damage. They also work great to cushion the Akas during transport, or keeping wet sandy parts off the clean interior.

I usually stow a lightweight rubber doormat or small tarp rolled up in the bow too, for use when landing on rocky shorelines.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Very nice video Brian. Seems like we like doing the same sort of things. It’s great to go with mates but going solo is pretty hard to beat. That backing track fitted in perfectly.

P.S. I noticed that ‘Match Cut’ at 1:45. Very artistic.

NOHUHU wrote:
I'd hate to see your new toy get a parking lot rash, though.

I usually stow a lightweight rubber doormat or small tarp rolled up in the bow too, for use when landing on rocky shorelines.

Good think'n. Heavy duty cloth tape at the impact points also gives you a higher resale value.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys! NOHUHU, I like the idea of a yoga mat and small tarp. I have an old doormat I've been using when loading/unloading to protect my car (a Corolla, of which I'm testing the car-topping limits), but I don't have anything protecting it from the ground except my attempted gentleness.

And yes, Slaughter, solo is pretty hard to beat. It just takes the right frame of mind. Solitude is like a strong woman; you have to be sure of yourself to enjoy her company. ;) I've learned to enjoy solo outings more and more, especially since I started doing things like backpacking, kayaking, and (now) sailing before I knew anyone who was also into such things. It also makes scheduling a heck of a lot easier. These days, I have several backpacking and paddling buddies, but I think it might be a while before I convince someone to drop some cash on an AI here in Tennessee, haha.